What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy mod?

diamond

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever contemplated, or even executed a radical canopy modification on the 12 which yields a smaller canopy (less head room)? I'm not a particularly tall guy, so whenever I see photos of the 12, I always feel prone to want a smaller canopy which may produce a sleeker look, less drag, etc. I suppose it may involve a custom canopy from the start, but has this been done by anyone?

I have never actually sat in an RV12, but from where I am in construction, I see I will probably have the same problem. I am contemplating some seat raise method myself. I also fear my legs are going to be too short as well, I have a 28 inch inseam and probably will have to add a hinge part further forward to reach the pedals.

The interior from Flightline now comes with a separate, removable "booster pad" for each seat, that fits UNDERNEATH the bottom of the aft part of the seat. Abby says many folks are liking that. By the way, I will do a separate post about the beautiful and very reasonably priced custom touches Abby added to my interior.

I will admit I have only had one demo flight in the -12, and sat in it on the ground, but I would not lower the canopy. To me it provides a great view all around you and this is a positive thing vice a negative thing. I suppose it may provide a bit sleeker look but I would think given that the plane is essentially near to at max speed for LSA standards, any speed gain is probably not a huge factor... unless you are not looking to fly it as a sport pilot.

Carl

Knocking a few inches off the top of the canopy would have no effect on the view. I'm just saying that when I see photos of folks sitting in the 12, it seems the height of the canopy is overkill for most people. For those who are not building for LSA criteria, why not shave a few inches off the top of the bubble, maybe pick up a few mph, and improve the cosmetics a bit? Just a thought.

You can make any change you want to the canopy, it will have no effect on the LSA status of the plane. Even if you speed it up a bit, there is lots of room there with the RV12 too. For me, I will just sit higher and enjoy the added view! (Too bad it won't let me fly inverted, imagine THAT view!

Knocking a few inches off the top of the canopy would have no effect on the view. I'm just saying that when I see photos of folks sitting in the 12, it seems the height of the canopy is overkill for most people. For those who are not building for LSA criteria, why not shave a few inches off the top of the bubble, maybe pick up a few mph, and improve the cosmetics a bit? Just a thought.

You'll need headroom

With the -12's low wing loading, it DOES bounce in thermals-- much more than my AA-1 did. I'm only 5'10" and I've already whacked my head (or headset) on the canopy pretty hard. Lesson 1: pull the belts tight. lesson 2: Pull them tighter!

Wayne 120241/N143WM

Back