What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy locks

cnutxpress

I'm New Here
I'm looking for a way to lock a "tip up" canopy w/other than just a hasp lock. Any ideas or products on the market that you're aware of? Thanks.
nutecxpress

Canopy Latch / Lock

nutecxpress,
There is a standard canopy latch for tip-ups in the plans, I'm pretty sure.
I bought my -6 some years ago, and most all tips I've seen have the same latch/lock. It appears the latch could be installed with or without the addition of a key cylinder to actually lock it.
There is a "aftermarket" latch that is suposed to be better.
Robbie Attaway makes it, or sells it.
Take a look see;
http://www.attawayair.com/rv6_products.htm
Good Luck.

I disagree with Gary. The Attaway system is fine. It is bulky but I lightened it up with lightening holes. I installed a Circular-Keyway Cam Lock from Mcmaster carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=1682A11&pagenum=2883

FP02092007A0000Q.jpg

FP02092007A0000S.jpg

Note: I had to make a clip to keep the return spring clear from the cam lock. Also, I am going to use cotter pins/castle nuts on the fasteners. They are not installed yet.

I know some of you are saying why do all this.... The stock system is fine. All I can say is that it is my creation and I am having fun building it. :)

-Ron

Last edited:
You can use Ron's method on standard latches also

My master key switch came with a extra lock that the same key will operate.

Kent

Lock?

My tip-up canopy is lockable but building that canopy made me rethink if I ever wanted to lock it. The answer is no, not only do I not lock it but I don't ever latch it except before flight.

I remove the small valuable items, like the Garmin 496, when the airplane is in the open. If someone wants the radios, well it is no trick to get through a locked tip-up canopy, but that is going to cause a bunch of damage. I would way rather replace a radio than rebuild a canopy!

I drilled a small hole in the lever and insert a small padlock in it when away. The lock prevents the lever from going in and releasing the latch. Simple and works.

Roberta

Yes and No

My tip-up canopy is lockable but building that canopy made me rethink if I ever wanted to lock it. The answer is no, not only do I not lock it but I don't ever latch it except before flight.

I remove the small valuable items, like the Garmin 496, when the airplane is in the open. If someone wants the radios, well it is no trick to get through a locked tip-up canopy, but that is going to cause a bunch of damage. I would way rather replace a radio than rebuild a canopy!

Yes I would not enjoy building a new canopy, so I know where you are coming from.

I would hate to buy new radios as they are very expensive. Also if they break into your plane someone may notice that activity, but if they just lift up the canopy no one will pay attention.

Kent

Back