What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy/Landing Gear Drill

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Howdy to ALL,
I'm curious what others are doing in regards to the hinges on the top of the canopy. Do we cover them with some form of removable cover and then fair them in with filler? OR, Fair them in with no cover? OR, Do nothing...

By the way whom ever said doors are a lot of work, they are correct! But rewarding.....

I'm also not sure where to find the landing gear drill. I've looked in the usual places.

Thanks for you help..

The people that are covering the hinges do so because they are ugly. I on the other hand had my plated in Nickel coated so they look much better than stock and no need to hide - http://myrv10factory.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/canopy-interior-you-guessed-it-more-sanding/

Hang in there with the doors, all the fiberglass is a ton of work, but its rewarding!

Also, the reamer you want for the gear legs are available at local machining shops or at Avery Tools (http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15380)

I purchased covers from another builder made out of stainless. He manufactured a batch and when they ran out that was it. I don't recall if any other vendor has attempted to copy.

I intend to simply paint mine to match the fuselage. Not the most attractive part of the aircraft.......

As for the doors - still a work in progress. I'm guessing they will be the last part to be finished. Did someone say it was rewarding?

I just finished the hinge pocket and painted the hinges with the same Jetglo white paint, along with the screw heads. IMHO it looks great. You can't see them from the ground or when you are entering the doors. I did make some covers, which I decided not to use. So don't sweat over it.

I agree with Bill and did the same. So far nobody has told me my hinges look like crud. Probably because they can't see them. Besides I was going for light weight as much as possible.

Thanks

I guess I did not check the usual places for the drill...OOPS. As far as the hinges, I'm still up in the air. I like the comment that they are never seen. That is very true. I'm probably hedging towards faring in and then painting..

Thanks for the input from all

Back