What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Interference on RV-14 forward edge.

DonJr

Patron
Can anyone tell me whether or not they have had any issues with the RV-14 forward Canopy edge interfering with the upper fuselage surface or not when opening or closing. Mine seems to want to rub against each on the top edges when opening. I filed a chamfer on the lower edge of the lids' surface but that was not enough to keep edges from rubbing.

There were a few threads on this very subject a couple of years back. Some had clearance issues and when canopy was tipped up it did significant damage to the top skin. Make sure you have adequate clearance now prior to painting as gaps & clearances will only get smaller. Trying searching for previous discussions. Here is some info from a discussion at the time.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 5.42.24 AM.png

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me whether or not they have had any issues with the RV-14 forward Canopy edge interfering with the upper fuselage surface or not when opening or closing. Mine seems to want to rub against each on the top edges when opening. I filed a chamfer on the lower edge of the lids' surface but that was not enough to keep edges from rubbing.
The instructions talk about making sure there is clearance. Mine I had to sand down near the hinge area as it would have caught. It looks like this is a standard tolerance issue that they new about. See page 38-20 Fig 4.

Last edited:
Back