What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Installation Lessons Learned

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I guess this really isn't about the canopy installation, but rather a short dissertation on installing the lift strut kit from Van's. This is not intended to be a bashing session but a description of what I found and experienced. First - was very disappointed when I opened the kit. The single page of data included as instructions gave virtually no dimensions and no dimensioned drawings. I called Van's tech support and discovered that the RV7 instructions can be used. Fortunately, I already had a set of them. I used them and my CAD package to make dimensioned drawings. Got them cut out and installed them. Fairly simple process. There is no indication of where to install the blocks on the canopy itself. These, when installed, govern where the rear attach tabs go. Next, enjoyed the completion of the job and thought I had done well. Then, I temporarily installed the instrument panel and tried to close the canopy. This is where I discovered that I had mounted the canopy blocks too far forward - the canopy would not close because the forward ends of the struts hit the panel! Said some dirty words and decided what to do about it. Ended up cutting the panel outside edges to clear. Moral of the story - make sure the instrument panel is installed before you choose where to locate the forward strut blocks!

Keep this lesson on mind when you go to cut the panel for your gauges...... you will need to consider where the canopy frame will fit within the panel to sub-panel space. In Van's instructions for the 6, he says "always think ahead".

Why don't you correct your error now so it won't bother you later?

ps That's called a GOTCHYA! and don't think that it has not been done before.

Back