What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Help

Capflyer

Well Known Member
I am working on the holes in my canopy. The instructions say to countersink first which I assume means using the #40 countersink, then enlarge the hole to 5/32. The #40 countersink leaves the rivet head not flush and the 5/32 hole seems too large for the rivet. A 1/8 hole seems to be the proper size for the rivets. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I used tinnerman washers under everything that didn't have a trim strip between the rivets or screws and canopy. On the areas where there was a trim strip, I drilled the holes in the trim strip to the size of the rivet and oversized the plexi holes after countersinking the plexi.

Does that help?

There are two options when installing the canopy. One is to rivet it in place with pull rivets. The other is to use #6 screws.

Sounds like you are mixing both options together.

You enlarge the hole to 5/32 if you are screwing it together, which is what I elected to do.

If you are riveting it, I'm not sure as I didn't look at that option.

Double check the drawing.

Also, there are some good pictures of the process on my fuselage page.

Best of luck.

Capflyer said:
I am working on the holes in my canopy. The instructions say to countersink first which I assume means using the #40 countersink, then enlarge the hole to 5/32. The #40 countersink leaves the rivet head not flush and the 5/32 hole seems too large for the rivet. A 1/8 hole seems to be the proper size for the rivets. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Back