What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy gust locks

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Some time ago one of you told us about an inexpensive lock to place on the canopy struts to prevent it being blown down in prop wash, wind, etc. Would whoever found it please provide info again? Thanks
Dick Seiders

Dick,

There is a gust lock sold by Avery's that keeps your rudder from flappin in the wind...but I don't know of anything to keep the canopy from coming down.

use a piece of tubing.

I've seen people use a piece of tubing that is just larger than the thick part of the strut. You have to center it on the strut to close the canopy. Otherwise, it blocks the strut from collapsing.

I'm sure someone will post pictures.

Canopy Gust Lock

I came across this solution while visiting the Grand Prairie airport. So simple, effective and low cost, I would think everyone would want one. I am sure going to put it on mine:
2ciwm1.jpg
[/IMG]

On our 6 we used a length of small diameter household water pipe with a slot cut along its length - dead easy to clip it over the fescalised part (the shiny bit) of the canopy strut.

I'll probably use the same technique for the 12.

I never used either one, but with the one I submitted a photo of, you never have to look for it nor can you lose it, it always stays right there. Is there an advantage to the slotted style?
You did give me an idea though, why not use PVC or cvpc pipe rather tnan aluminum tube?

Don - sorry, I should have added 'PVC' to my description. That was indeed what we used.

The good thing about the clipping on type is there's no chance of it accidentally being knocked out of position.

That said the ali tube 'integral' design is always there when needed!

Back