What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame hitting G3X displays

sparkcrafter

I’m in the process of installing the canopy frame in my RV-12iS. When the canopy frame is raised or lowered, the front crossover tube contacts the top outermost corner on both G3X displays. Has anyone else run into this issue? I can’t see any way to adjust the frame to prevent it from contacting the displays. There’s a slight gap when the frame is in the fully down position, but as the frame starts to raise it clips the corner of the G3X displays.

Attachments

• 922AC9D2-4459-43DA-90D9-26961AE50CF6.jpeg
    922AC9D2-4459-43DA-90D9-26961AE50CF6.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 72
Check out step four of page 43CiS-05 in the KAI’s.
Thanks Brian. The interference I’m seeing is more than I think can be fixed by filing the tubing. Maybe 1/8” or so would need to come off to provide adequate clearance.

Has anyone else had to resolve the interference issue with a method other than filing the tube?

I’ve looked at several of the factory built RV-12’s that have broken corners on the G3X displays which I assume is from inadequate clearance in this area, so just want to do what I can to prevent a similar result on my build.

The factory airplanes have the upper left corner of the display sanded/ filed down to clear the frame. I would go at it with a coarse grade of sandpaper for clearance and then move to finer and finer grains to polish it.

I sanded mine down as well. The sanding I did doesn't look great, too rough and asymmetrical. Id recommend measuring, marking off and sanding with progressive grits to try and get the corners and even ans smooth/glossy as possible. Or to at least match the surface finish of the G3xs.

One of the few "wish I could do overs" on my bird.

I ran into this problem also. KAI Section 39 specifies a 7/16" gap between the bow and the instrument panel edge--which is almost enough. My solution was to grind off the outer, upper corners of the G3X displays, just enough for the canopy bow to clear. I don't like it but any alternative I could imagine was worse.

Back