What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Frame fitting

wsouligny

I'm New Here
Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do about it? My RV-12 fuselage measures 44 inches wide at the rear of the cockpit when taken from "skin-to-skin." The canopy frame measure 44 1/2 inches at the rear. When installed, the frame conforms to the passenger side of the A/C resting about 1/4 inch inside the fuselage all along its length (from panel to roll bar). The pilot side conforms to the fuselage until it get to the weld where the long square tubing meets the shorter length of tubing. Then the canopy frame leaves the contour of the fuselage until it is about 1/2 inch outside of it. This makes it about 3/4 inch too wide at the rear of the frame.

Try as I may, I can't seem to "adjust" the frame to conform to the fuselage on both sides (assuming the frame must rest 1/4 inch inside the fuselage on both sides) unless I really bend the frame which distorts the rear canopy frame bow. I contacted Van's but they are so far unmoved by my request for help. I'm sending some pictures, but before I get too adamant about asking for a replacement, do you have a solution to my dilemma?

I had that problem as well, but after crying in my beer about it a while, found the frame can be tweaked to fit very easily. I had several "misfits" with mine at first but got to to be perfect with some effort.

Well, crying in the beer really works!

Don - I tried the same catharsis and guess what? I finally tweaked the frame with a little more enthusiasm this morning and now it fits pretty well. Thanks for the support!

Canopy frame

Our frame measures 42 inches from inside to inside at the very aft end of the canopy frame, it has the canopy attached.

Back