What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame expands in flight?

Dave12

Well Known Member
I have noticed that my canopy gets wider in flight. On the ground I see no light between the frame and the side of the fuse. When in flight, the canopy seems to widen to the point that I can see light underneath. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Not yet John, I've been enjoying the breeze, it's been hot here. This extra breeze will soon become more of an issue when it turns cold.

yep ... same here

I have the same thing with my canopy. On the ground it fits fine ... but in flight it lifts open at the bottom and light and air peek through. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of weatherstripping with a sticky back for about $2.97. Seems to work OK.

I am planning to fabricate a guide similar to the one at the rear of the canopy to hold the canopy in place. Thoughts?

It's interior pressure

43WM does the same thing. I added weather stripping, which just produced a whistling noise. When the canopy is in the "extended" position (visible gap) there's a LOT of flow out through the gap-- if you're wearing a long-sleve shirt it will suck the material out through the gap. I think it's a combination of low pressure on the outside of the canopy (curved shape) and high pressure inside (Cabin air scoops). If you close that gap completely the air WILL find someplace else to exit. I think this winter with the scoops closed it won't be as much of a problem-- we'll see.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Back