What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Frame Bulge

JimP

I thought I pretty much had the forward canopy frame fitting OK. After riveting the forward sills in place, deburring the forward canpy frame skin and frame, and putting it back in place, I have a 3/32" x 3" bulge along the right side where the frame skin rests on the longeron/ canopy sill. It appears that the frame itself is causing this and I'm wondering what's the best way to deal with this. Sorry for the large pic, but here's what it looks like. The rest of the forward frame lines up fairly well.

P5270058.JPG

Jim

battle of the bulge

Jim, try putting a shim between the side skirt and canopy at the top before you clecoe it on. That may prevent the bulging.

I ended up with a shim the full length of the canopy to get a 'perfect' fit all around.

Vern

Battle of the bulge...

Thanks Vern, the forward edge of the canopy frame skin matches up fairly well with the forward upper fuselege skin if that's what you mean. The bulge is entirely contained along the canopy frame.

Jim

Better View

Here's a slightly better view without the scale.. I'm thinking a little re-constructive surgery on the frame may be in order if I can find a welder.

P5270055.JPG

Jim- Just bend the forward frame together. It is surprisingly soft and bendable. You can do it by hand fairly easy. Remove the assembly, lay it up side down on your table, measure the exact distance across with the issue, make darn sure you are about to bend the correct side in need, while holding the hinge point nearest the side in need, bend the outboard side inwards carefully, measure, and repeat if necessary. This way you can bend it from the hinge to the edge in need precisely. Piece -O- cake.

-Also please note: After riveting the frame assy. together I was crazed by the change of the fitment.

FUSELAGE%20453.jpg

The skin would jam upon opening on top in the center section and was flying high on the sides. I then decided there was nothing I could do except roll the skin of the frame in the needed direction to alleviate the problem. After doing this it solved the problem but it left me a little unhappy until I went to Sun-N-Fun only to see on Vans Demo RV-7A they had done the exact same thing! Done, over, move on.... ;)

CENTER (rolled up)
CANOPY%20047.jpg

RIGHT SIDE (rolled down)
CANOPY%20046.jpg

LEFT SIDE (rolled down)
CANOPY%20048.jpg

-Jeff

Last edited:
My frame bulged out at the sides a bit too after riveting, but not as much. I'll try Jeff's trick, but I'm not too concerned about it. I had some serious binding during opening. I had to roll the canopy edge up and the forward skin down along with tapering the edge in the correct direction with some sand paper. Hopefully that takes care of it.

My question is how to remove those darn struts. There must be a trick to it. I installed them to make raising the canopy easier, but getting them off was darn near impossible.

Davepar said:
My question is how to remove those darn struts. There must be a trick to it. I installed them to make raising the canopy easier, but getting them off was darn near impossible.
Pull the clips. Little flathead screwdriver helps to pry 'em out.

Back