What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy fiberglass

tomkk

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to the canopy fiberglass layup. I've seen tons of pictures of the process but haven't seen anything to protect the pivot bolts from epoxy during the layup. What do you use to keep the epoxy from getting on those bolts?

I'm getting close to the canopy fiberglass layup. I've seen tons of pictures of the process but haven't seen anything to protect the pivot bolts from epoxy during the layup. What do you use to keep the epoxy from getting on those bolts?

If you follow the instructions exactly, you will not get much of any resin in the holes.
- The instruction is to wet out some cloth with it laying on plastic sheeting ( a very common technique when working with composits)

- Squeegee out excess resin.

- Cut it to match the shape of the paper template.

- Use the plastic sheet to transfer it to the airplane.

- Remove the plastic sheet

- Wait until the resin in this layer partially sets up but is still tacky. Only then continue adding the remaining layers.

Somewhat paraphrased... there are more details in the manual.

If you follow this process, the first layer will become a somewhat sealed barrier to prevent resin from finding it's way inside.

I used a nice smooth/shiny socket sitting on the pivot bolt head as I did the fiberglassing. Try to find a relatively thick-wall socket or wrap some tape around the socket's circumference so that later sockets will fit in the hole for bolt removal.

I cut a short piece of aluminum tubing and slipped a 7/16 socket inside it and over the bolt head. Then I glassed everything and used a Moto-tool router to removed the glass layer from the tube center. The tube stays in place and provides a nice round, wear resistant hole for the bolt. The socket keeps the tube centered during glassing and ensures you can slip a socket over the bolt head later.

You might want to protect the INSIDE also. When done, I had resin running down the panel dripping on the floor!

Suggestion.

I used a nice smooth/shiny socket sitting on the pivot bolt head as I did the fiberglassing. Try to find a relatively thick-wall socket or wrap some tape around the socket's circumference so that later sockets will fit in the hole for bolt removal.

I ground the socket wall a little to make it as small as possible and then rubbed a wax crayon all over it. Worked good. Kept that socket in my tool kit to check bolt torque from time to time.

Back