What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Fairing Metal Replacement

Bob Ross

Has anyone used an aluminum skin as a substitute for the 10 ply epoxy/glass canopy fairing we are instructed to fabricate?

The canopy lay up is my next task. I am not looking forward to this so if an aluminum piece has been used here successfully I am all for it:D

Thanks All

Bob

The fiberglass layup turned out to be a non event. If you have gone this far making the fiberglass layup for the canopy is no big deal. Follow the insturctions and you are good to go.

I have seen the prefab windshield fairing and was not very impressed. It is very thin and IMO, flimsy. Once I saw it, I was glad I chose to do the layup. As Geico said, it's a non-issue. Just stop thinking about it and do it. I think you will surprise your self.

I enjoyed the canopy layup. It was a nice break from the aluminum and I felt good about actually making something instead of simply assembling. It was satisfying for me. Follow the plans and I bet you will do fine.

Back