What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Door

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Today I started building the doors. The inner shell fits well however getting the outer shell to conform is a problem. I am to the point that cutting the outer shell and re-glassing looks like the only option. Has anyone else had this problem and if so did you find a different solution.

Pat

mating the door

I have the pink fiberglass doors and had an awful fit between the halves as well. It was worse when they were mated to the green fiberglass canopy. All three components had a different radius to the curve. What I did was to clamp the inner door shell to the canopy, then find what gave me the best fit for the outer shell. I ended up clecoing the lower mating holes in the window and leaving the upper ones open. Working from the clecoes down to the bottom clamping as I went set the flat portion of door, then I went from the clecoes up to the top pulling out most of the flex in the outer shell. After glueing the halves together I used LOTS of clamps to set the shape and had plenty of building up with micro in some places of the canopy frame and door, and sanding down in others. I have spent a whole lot of time getting the doors to an acceptable point, but with some work they are coming around and with the primer on the microballoons and flox buildups aren't noticeable. By the way...don't be stingy with the epoxy when joining the halves.

Eric Kallio
40518 Installing overhead console...engine shipping next week

That's strange... both of my doors fit the contour of the cabin top relatively well (pink doors, pink top); however, I did have to completely ignore the index holes in the window flanges--they were way off. If I had tried to used those holes, it wouldn't have fit well at all. Any chance that's the problem? Maybe post some pictures?

-Rob

Doors

I have attempted to ignore tooling holes as well. I started working up the door with clecos only to have a problem fitting at the top. I will try working it from the top down and see what that produces. You guys talked about pink ang green doors and frames, both my doors and canopy are green. My kit is 5 years old although I purchased it in June from a builder who had not started it.

Pat

post some pics

Pat,
post some pics when you have an opportunity so we can more clearly see
where your problems are.
My doors needed a bit of persuasion too before they fell in line.
Notice the concrete bags on top?
Maybe you can use these pics to point out the problems.

The last pic is for motivation only.

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Problem solved

Well after a couple of hours working on the fit problem I decided to trim the outer shell a little closer to the final trim line. While doing so I also decided to trim the window to the 1 3/4 line thinking maybe that would relieve the outer shell a little and help it fit. Boy was I surprised to see the depression in the inner shell in the window area that had been holding the outer shell off alignment. This is just a case of me being a dumb a#% and not following directions. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Pat

Door

Ernst<

What is the white colored product, pin hole filler or primer. Also thanks for the pictures, it looks great.

Pat

white primer filler

Pat,
Glad to see your problem solved.
The white stuff is Loehle primer filler from Loehle aircraft.

Back