What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Deck Issue / Question

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I'm going to call Vans about this tomorrow, but there seems to be some discrepancies in the plans about how to attach the forward canopy deck.

In the area where the canopy deck mounts, the longeron twists to meet the engine mount welment. In the plans, the deck is pictured riveted all along the longeron which would make the deck not perpendicular to the fuselage sides.

In addition, the cutouts shown for the instrument panel are at an angle. However, the drawing for the panel installation shows the decks perpendicular to the fuselage side and not contoured to the longeron (the gap is even shown on the drawing. So, which way does it go?

I'm guessing that the deck should be at an angle to sit flat on the longeron, but I wanted to see what other folks did here.

Shows rivets attaching the deck to longeron. This drawing is for the tip-up, but there is no drawing of this area supplied for the slider.
FP27032011A0004D.jpg

Shows angle cut in the panel
FP27032011A0004E.jpg

Show the deck square with a gap at the longeron
FP27032011A0004F.jpg

F621A needs a little working to make it fit the twisted longerons. I think I clamped it in the vise between pieces of hardwood and coaxed it with a rubber mallet. Turned out better than I expected. Good luck.

On the -9, these parts are prebent slightly along the edge that lays flat on the longeron. This allows the forward end to be level where it attaches to the subpanel.

There is no benefit to have F6110 level. Fit the parts and drill the sub panel where F6110 ends up.

There is no benefit to have F6110 level. Fit the parts and drill the sub panel where F6110 ends up.

Gasman is correct for the -6. I spoke with Ken at Vans and he said that either way is fine. Bend it or have the deck at an angle, it does not matter.

Back