What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy cutt..

Sanch627

To those who have done this is it better to use a die grinder and cut a vertical cut, or an angle die grinder and cut a horizontal cut even with the extra material . Would leaving the extra from a vertical cut make a difference in the fit to the frame…

Dremel Saw Max or other manufacturer variant.
Like a hot knife through butter.
Make sure the edge is sanded before moving the canopy.

Interesting idea. I always used a die grinder with the disks Vans sent with the canopy. Oscillating multitools create a lot of vibration but if it's working I can see it would make a lot less mess. What blade did you find worked best?
The finer the tooth count the better, obviously.

I'd be curious to see the effectiveness of the grout removal tool (blade) on the polymer (is it actually plexiglass or something else?). The relatively smooth abrasive surface would probably take a little longer but could lower some cracking risk. Probably overkill but a thought.

My vote for Angle grinder with cutoff wheel. I tried the air dye grinder and it doesn't spin fast enough.
Are you saying Electric Angle grinder?

For any application of a rotating wheel on plexiglass, I'd suggest caution as a minimum.

This would be a case where torque is not your friend. Blade pinch combined with the torque of a locked rotor can make for very expensive mistakes.

Back