What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy crack - any advice ?

Azjulian

Well Known Member
I have been working on my canopy and I thought all had been going well... But I was checking this morning and found a large crack on the right rear side.

Any advice on what to do, should I replace ?

Julian
2016-09-01%2007.06.48.jpg

I think I caused it by not ensuring that I was completely clear of the weld at the bottom of the frame I can see now that my cut out around the weld wasn't enough.

2016-09-01%2007.07.05.jpg

Stop drilling is the right thing to do to keep it from getting worse. See AC 43.13-1B, page 3-19 for more repair options.

The picture is not clear enough to see the length so it is a judgement call you will have to make on replacement. If there continues to be stress in that area, it will likely get worse.

Thank you Ray - I stop drilled at both ends and I will try using weldon #4 in the crack and #16 at both drill stops to see if I can patch.

I noticed straight away the cause of the stress and remediated.. Just kicking myself that I didn't notice until a crack was caused? I guess you live and learn.

There is a process for welding plastic that uses a stream of hot air. Harbor Freight sells the weld gun fairly cheaply. I don't know if it would be a viable option, but it might be worth trying on some scrap to judge it's suitability for a repair. Remember that unless you are building EAB you will need Vans blessing for the repair method in order to license as EELSA.

Really appreciate the reminder on contacting Vans for that Rich, I hadn't thought about the implication to registering. I'll send them an email.

I would replace while your still building. Once it's painted and sealed replacement will be more problematic.

I would replace while your still building. Once it's painted and sealed replacement will be more problematic.

I second Pat's comment....the chance of having to repeat composit work nesessary to replace plexi would have me really access that crack (though the $$$'s would be hard to swallow)..;;bummer.

I think this is vans and your decision

My opinion is a little different
There so many variable is hard to know what is best in your world
The Cost
Are you going paint before you fly
A place to fix it after you get the plane to the airport and fly off you test items
Is the fiber glass work finished
Are you experienced with fiberglass ( the second time you will have more experience )
What does vans have to say
Can you live with a very small flaw
I think this is vans and your decision

My View

Joe Dallas

Another option

If the plane is not going to be judged and since this is not a safety concern, an acrylic patch could be glued on using acrylic cement. It will be stronger than the original canopy. The patch can be hidden with an EAA or other sticker.

Since the crack doesn't appear to go forward of the frame, I think I would choose to hide It and keep the canopy.
First stop drill the crack.
Then contact your local plastic supply company for an apptopriate product to bond it back together and sand it smooth.
Then paint the strip, all along the canopy cut, back to the rear edge.
A lot of tip up RVs have a fiberglass strip there anyway and it will cover up the crack but still look good.
Good luck

Just an update to share

I did contact Vans and Mitch replied back with a method to fix, at the same time I did inquire how much it would be as I was just about to order my engine kit. I found out that I wouldn't incur any additional shipping or crating cost... That and the fact that I have to admit I am a total perfectionist and it would drive me crazy :) lead me to swallow the cost and order the new canopy. I am going to fix the cracked one to get the experience and I'll either keep it or donate it to EAA chapter for people to practice crack fixing on

Really appreciate everyone's advice !

Julian,

Donate it to the West Mec A&P school at Glendale and you can get a dollar-for-dollar state tax credit. I did that for a spare WAR FW-190 canopy I had and got full price credit.

Rich

Back