What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Clearance for Head with Bose Headset

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
Hi group,

I have not been able to find info on the recommended space between the top of the headset and the bottom of the canopy in the closed position. I am ordering Oregon Aero cushions and it seems this will be a key specification for the direction I give them on cushion thickness at the back of the seat cushion. The distance would be after I have sat in the memory foan OA uses for 15-30 minutes.

Is the Pivot Point a "Canopy Cracker"?

Ken:
I love the Bose product (had sets in my CT210), but it was a real concern for me in my 9A. Especially the "X" version that pivots at the top - yes, I've whacked my head in turbulence. I'm currently using a non-aviation Bose coupled to a U-Fly mike. Works pretty well, but doesn't have as much passive reduction as their aviation unit, but has a thin, padded headband. I've heard some good things about the new Beyerdynamics ANRs, which have a thin band as well.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

I doubt that you'll find any official number as a lot depends on the seating angle you select and your torso height and plain just what you like. I'm not overly tall, but my 6' seems to have more in the torso height, I've wailed my head on good old 152's and Cherokee 180's alike. So far it hasn't stopped me from flying, but it has made me more careful with my weather reports. :)

I too like the Bose headsets, but honestly, you couldn't pry the QuietANR Halo set I use now away from me or my wife.

I'm also using the Bose-X and a unfortunately a tall friend (6'2") scratched my canopy before I realised what was going on. :-(

That's one lesson...but does anyone know a source for nice headset covers that we could use to cover those hinges and really prevent this happening??

You should really try the QT Halo headset as David recommends. You will not be disappointed and your head clearance problem will be solved.

Also keep in mind those caps with the buttons on top. They hurt like he'll when you smack your head and can do some canopy damage as well.

I take a pair of dykes and cut off all the buttons on the top of my hats!! It's like a nail being driven into the top of your head!

I put in Ore Aero seats... they sent me one foam cushion set (uncovered) to put in the plane and sit on to determine final thickness. I'm 69" and didn't need to change the seat thickness and have about a hand thickness between the canopy and the top of the headset.

Of note, I did have them cut the foam notch for the stick 1.5" deeper into the seat because if the seat backrest was in the forward most position, the seat bottom was forward enough it interfered with the stick.

So Mike, is your hand thickness about 1.5"? I am assuming you have not banged your head with the hand-thickness space between tyyhe top of the Bose and the canopy. Right?

Head to canopy clearance

I haven't hit my head.... yet. Once hit the canopy of my Long-EZ while over the Mojave desert so hard I was surprised it didn't break the canopy or my neck! When it's rough... you just have to "cinch it up"...........

So you based at Sunriver? Wife and I just flew over there last weekend from Aurora, for lunch. WOW... was BEAUTIFUL weekend, especially traveling over the Cascades.

Back