What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy advice

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
Even if the instructions clearly say to oversize a hole with a larger plasti-bit, DON'T DO IT ! ( and Don't ask ! )

Use a DREMEL with a 1/8" rotary file type bit at high speed. It will burn thru the hole very quickly, and not damage anything. Hold it very tightly in your hand right over the smaller hole, and push it thru slowly. If you need the hole larger, move it around once you are thru the hole. Make it whatever size you want then.

A small unibit will work also. My advice is simple, NEVER enlargen a hole with a larger twist drill bit of any kind in plexiglass, even a plexiglass bit.

John Bender

Did a bit of research on working with the canopy. Looked at all of the posts on this site using the keyword "plexiglass" and other web sites. Posted the items in my blog. Hope it helps. If you have any other helpful hints, PLEASE list them here!! I will start canopy work in a few weeks.

Click here for the updated post from my blog.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm just about to that step. Curious though. I did in fact oversize my rear window with the #27 as they said and all went fine. Was I just lucky or is that a different kind of plastic?

Back