What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian Inspections

Well work on the tail is coming along fine. We are getting close to calling the Canadian inspector in to view our work. Can anyone out there give me some advice on what to expect, and what to do to be properly prepared for a Candian inspection? One of my main questions is the rule that states that the inspector must be able to pull back the skin. Well that's had to do on some parts like the horizontal stabilizer. To rivet it means closing the skin, while not riveting it wastes an expensive inspection?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to this forum !!

My first advice would be to get in contact with your MDRA inspector and ask him/her what to expect and how to prepare for your inspection.

What I do pending the inspections is to rivet/close permanently one side of the assembly (elevator, rudder, stabilizers, wing) and leave the othe side "open" so the skin can be lifted/removed and the "inside" viewable.

As I will move my parts across the Atlantic before the inspections, my inspector suggested to temporarily close the "open" side with some aluminum automotive blind (easy to drill out, I tested) rivets to hold everything in place turing transport. I put a rivet in every 5th hole.

Hope this helps!!!

Andy
There are many builders in our part of Ontario. There is an active RAA chapter in Brampton, and the RAA president Gary Wolf is in Kitchener. There is and EAA/RAA? chapter in Stoney Creek.
Also the Canadian office for the MDRA is in London Ontario. Give them a call, I have always found them helpful. The inspector will want to be able to see inside the part. Thus for the HS do all the riveting on, say the top surfaces, and leave the bottom of the surface clecoed until after the inspection.
The inspectors are very helpful and do not hesitate to ask them questions.
If you would like to chat about the process you are welcome to call me at 519-282-1369, I live in St.Thomas and have been through the process a number of times.

It's not mandatory to have separate inspections for the tail, wings, fuselage, etc. You can have one inspection on everything before closing. You are well advised to at the very least have someone who has been there before take a look at your work and give you some critical feedback before you go that far.

That's a good suggestion on using soft pop rivets to temporarily close the surfaces. Cleocos are prone to getting bumped or bent over if they're left in too long...

Save money!

Andy,

I did my emp and wing pre-close inspection together for the price of one. There is really no need to have a separate inspection on the tail feathers. If you have folks around that know what they are talking about and can look at your work, save your cash! Those inspections are expensive.

My 2 cents.

DP

Back