What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you trim F-802L-1 to fit U-803 landing gear brackets?

inktomi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I may have just destroyed my project. I'm having a lot of trouble aligning the U-803 brackets 3/16" in from the outer edge. I actually didn't do it on one side, and drilled the longeron with it flush - which means that hole is probably impossible to get a washer and nut on due to it being so close to the edge of the inside.

You can see how far off from center it is. What do you think? Is it impossible to get the washer and nut on, or is it possible? If this is a mistake that isn't recoverable, I'm pretty much hosed.

IMG_3618.JPG

The reason for this is that I'm worried about edge distance on the skin and F-802L-1. If I try to put the bracket 3/16" in like the directions say, I will need to remove quite a bit of the edge of the aft Zee channel (F-802L-1) - see the arrows below.

IMG_3619.JPG

If I have things flush with the edges, then this would align as I've trimmed it right now. But you end up with the hole not being centered, and I think that might make the whole thing impossible to actually assemble.

Any ideas? I really hope I didn't just turn my fuselage into trash. These parts are extreamly buried, and some of the first that go together. You can see below the aft F-802L-1 sticks out further than the fore one, and it interferes with the gear bracket. I'd have to trim it back probably 2/16" or so - and that would make that skin rivet awfully close.

IMG_3617.JPG

Looks like you have the Grove gear. In an earlier post Grove recommended the hardware below. Not sure what you have. Many have been able to put the bolt in from the top down which makes easy access to the nut. Hard to tell from the pic if the bolt head would clear but worth a try. I used the bolts and nuts as per Steve Smith's testing and put the bolts in top down on my stock Vans gear. I would't worry too much about the one close rivet.

Ok, so would you recommend leaving the brackets flush rather than putting them in by 3/16” to better center the holes? I do have the grove gear.

I’d have to shave about 2/16” off the zee braces under the floor to make it fit with the bracket in 3/16” from the edge. That will almost have the river head flush with the edge most likely.

My landing gear came with the hardware you linked, so luckily I have all that already rather than the normal nuts.

Last edited:
Before you do anything drastic, call Vans tech support for help. They know the load and can make recommendation to fix it. Aluminum airplane are repairable so don't do anything drastic yet.

If you have to, you could file a flat on a washer to get on there. If you can not get a bolt head or nut on there, you might try a smaller diameter nut. The NAS1804 does have a pretty small "footprint" so that may save you.

I would not worry at all about trimming the Z-braces a little. They need to be full cross section strength in the middle, but at the ends, no big deal to trim them if you have to. Its been long enough ago that I don't remember any problem finding a happy spot for those holes that pretty much maintained good edge clearance on everything.

Back