What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you compute a new weight and balance?

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
For years I flew a 30+ year old Cherokee 140. The weight and balance took up a significant portion of the POH. Every time something was added or removed a new page was added. By the new millennium it was pretty suspect. Did this paint weigh the same as the last, did each entry weigh exactly what they said etc? I have now added several items to my 12. I just had it painted. Instead of trying to figure out what I weigh, and the moment arm etc, can I just re-weigh the whole plane and say this it what is is? In essence,is the original w&b the definitive statement, or just another number?

An actual weighing out-trumps calculations any day....:)

Just re-weigh it and use the new numbers, especially with the added paint.

Where you you put the CG of the paint even if you knew the exact paint weight added...:)

W&B

You can re-weigh an aircraft any time and establish a new W&B record. Just make sure you correctly configure the plane, with all of the required equipment and fluids, and nothing that's not required. Canopy closed, flaps up, etc. etc. etc.

Fuel should be empty, but could be full and then backed out of the calculation.

LOL: Looks like Gil can type faster than I can!!

Last edited:
That's what I did (reweigh) when I converted my 9A to a 9 (and after paint and several other mods), just to make sure it was right.

greg

We re-weigh aircraft all the time and supply a new W&B, both experimental and certified.

Back