What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can Wing Work Be Delayed

macrafic

Well Known Member
I'm a couple of pages away from the instructions to mount the wings, set the incidence and install the vent/fuel lines, after which the wings are removed and work continued on the fuselage (brakes/rudder pedals, etc.).

I'm building the plane inside my garage and the wings are stored off-site. Also, it is cold this time of year in Minnesota!

So, my questions are:

Can the wing incidence be set later in the build process? If I do that, do I make it harder on myself for whatever reason?

Are the vent/fuel lines standard length (plan on ordering my lines from Bonaco)? Can I install them at this point, at least the interior portions, without the wings being in place?

I'm a couple of pages away from the instructions to mount the wings, set the incidence and install the vent/fuel lines, after which the wings are removed and work continued on the fuselage (brakes/rudder pedals, etc.).

I'm building the plane inside my garage and the wings are stored off-site. Also, it is cold this time of year in Minnesota!

So, my questions are:

Can the wing incidence be set later in the build process? If I do that, do I make it harder on myself for whatever reason?

Are the vent/fuel lines standard length (plan on ordering my lines from Bonaco)? Can I install them at this point, at least the interior portions, without the wings being in place?

Yes you can wait and no there is no risk in doing so.
Im not familiar with the Bonaco lines, but you can install lines anytime.

Even though I was working in a 3 car garage and probably could have mounted the wings, I waited until I moved the plane to the hanger to mount the wings and do the work items you listed. After I drilled the rear spar, the bolt went in and stayed in.

By the time I moved to the hanger, I had every thing done except for mounting the wings and the "finish up" stuff. The funny thing is that I thought I'd be flying in 4-6 weeks after I moved to the hanger. It actually took about 4 months! So if I had mounted the wings while still at home, it probably would have been 4 weeks. Even so, I glad I waited. Having the extra working space in the hanger made the job of mounting the wings much easier.

airplane "party"

When I got to this step I decided to assemble the wings & tail on the fuselage in the backyard. The garage was not big enough.

I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nuts with this thing behind my house.

We decided to have an airplane party & invite folks over to look at the assembled project in the backyard.

It was fun (kinda bizarre) - about 50 people came through that afternoon for burgers & beer and to behold this spectacle.

If nothing else, it confirmed everything would fit up good at the airport.

But, in retrospect, it probably was not necessary.

But it was fun:D

Dave
-9A flying

Back