What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can someone help with layout

agirard7a

Well Known Member
Just starting to layout the electric in my 9a. Does anyone have a basic layout drawing for a VFR, Do most people use the layout that is in the manual? thanks, al

Just starting to layout the electric in my 9a. Does anyone have a basic layout drawing for a VFR, Do most people use the layout that is in the manual? thanks, al

I think most people use AeroElectric's schematics, like Scott mentioned above. You should also sign up for the AeroElectric mailing list at matronics.com. This is the only way to get support or ask questions to Bob.

Your other option is to look at the Vertical Power VP-50 or VP-X.

The VP option may cost a little more, but it will be less complicated than rolling your own solution from scratch. Marc Ausman and team provide fantastic support. There are also sample schematics on their web site.

bob

I am a fan of Knuckoll's book, although I sometimes thinks he uses a few extra components than necessary on occasion. I am all for building the most simple electrical system that will meet your mission requirements - the fewer components, the lower chance to failure. For a simple VFR airplane, the Van's drawing is completely adequate - it is what you'll find in most of the basic single-engined certified planes that have been out there for decades. Very simple to wire, easy to understand, and almost no "moving parts".

I usually have a bit more complex set of mission requirements, so my systems are a little more redundant - but no more complex than they have to be. Don't feel you have to out-engineer the other guys for a day/night VFR flyer....

Paul

All good advice so far.
Get Van's Wiring kit. This will provide you with an excellent starting point that includes a set of schematics and all you need to finish a basic system.
Purchase AeroElectric for in depth information and expand your understanding.
As you gain understanding you can easily modify and add to Van's electric system.

I will sell you me "Aeroelectric Connection" book if you like. $10 +actual shipping.

I have to say, he is really good with electrical, but the Van's basic diagram is also very good. Just keep in mind, power - protection - switch - user/device - ground. Repeat that about 20 times and you have an aircraft electrical system.

The Van's model specific wiring kit is abut all you need. I think Stein also sells that. I am not sure if he includes a diagram. You'll want to get to know him though as he's a great resource for assembling your system.

Thanks everyone.

Wow. What a great site. Well thank you everone for the input.
I ordered the diagrams and instructions for the wiring kit but not the kit.
Also getting the Aero connection book. Thanks Al

All good advice so far.
Get Van's Wiring kit. This will provide you with an excellent starting point that includes a set of schematics and all you need to finish a basic system.
Purchase AeroElectric for in depth information and expand your understanding.
As you gain understanding you can easily modify and add to Van's electric system.

My experience was that Vans kit and Knuckolls suggested schematics are not all that compatible. I really liked the logic behind Knuckolls Z-13/8 which he recommends for most everyone with the possible exception of the most intensive IFR-critical mission types. If you go with one of the Knuckolls schematics, you will be wasting a fair amount of material and money buying Vans electrical kit and everything you need is easily available thru B&C, Stein, and others.

Erich

Back