What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can RV use Continental Engines?

PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
Because of the growth of the experimental aircraft market, mainly from Vans, many of the used Lycoming engines are harder to find.
Do you know if Continental engines can be used on the RVs? I know that C172 uses the Continental engine

Because of the growth of the experimental aircraft market, mainly from Vans, many of the used Lycoming engines are harder to find.
Do you know if Continental engines can be used on the RVs? I know that C172 uses the Continental engine
Vans doesn't offer an engine mount for a Continental engine, so you'd have to figure that out.

FYI- 172's haven't had Continental engines since around 1970...

The C-172 used Continental engines for the early models and then began using Lycoming in I think the late 60's to early 70's.
Continental quit making engines (the heavier 6 cyl, O-300) in the 150 HP range many years ago so the only viable choice is the 6 cyl IO-360 (around 200 HP).
I has been used by a few builders but it uses a very different mounting style so you must design and build your own engine mount.
It is also heavier than the 4 cyl Lycomings so you would be compromising the airplane in that regard.
One of the prototype RV-10's was built using a Continental IO360ES. It required a huge amount of engineering and design changes, and no one was interested in an RV-10 with only 210HP so it was never offered as a kit option, but the prototype is still flying with that engine.

Interesting info. I didn't realize the Continental engine is so heavy and underpowered compared to the Lycoming engine.

Back