What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I dimple the aileron spar A-903?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Can I dimple my aileron spar A-903? I dimpled my wing rear spar W-907 with no ill results. I know they are shaped a bit differently (slightly different angle) but my small diameter dimple die seems to fit in there ok.

The manual is no help here:

In the Wing Skin Preparation & Assembly section of the manual, it says Dimple the 0.040" rear spar and "ream out" the dimpled holes slightly with a sharp deburring bit or machine countersink. This "reaming" operation removes just a small amount of metal to make the skin dimple fit better and is not critical...

Yet in the aileron section, the manual states Machine Countersink the A-903 Spar Flanges (this will prevent bowing the spar that can be caused by dimpling since it is 0.040" thick).

Why the difference? Has anyone tried this?

wow

i wonder if thats new information... i dimpled mine. overdimpling will bend the part away from the yoke and underdimpling will bend the part towards the male die. set your squeezer carefully. good crisp dimples. ;) if you feel the bump in a pnuematic squeezer you may be over doing it. you can look at the edge of a dimple on a sample and very closely examine it to see if the yoke spreading and side loading the dies causing a problem.it will be noticeable on the area of the dimple that was in the throat of the yoke. this displaces metal and acts as a stretcher, giving the opposite effect of a flute. you should barely feel a bump( when the squeezer roller comes over center) with no evidence of side loading. good luck gotta go build baffles :mad:

Shot with CYBERSHOT at 2007-08-04

Last edited:
Back