What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I delay the bottom skins?

cstanley

I'm about to tackle the fuel tanks on my slow build wing kit. Once I"m done with that, I'm supposed to put the bottom skins on. Why wouldn't I want to do that AFTER installing all the flight controls and the AP? Seems it would be so much easier.

Last edited:
It's the last thing I do on the side by side, install the bottom skins. A couple of friends doing a 10 did the same thing. Larry

Last edited:
Bottom skins

I don't know for sure since I am not quite to that point, but I think I read that riveting the bottom skins on with the control tubes in place is very difficult. Tubes must get in the way of bucking.

I am riveting the skins now. What I did was to complete the aileron actuation section and set the control tube lengths, with the skins off. I also went ahead and paid the $50 or so and purchased the autopilot attachment hardware and installed it. Now I am riveting the skins on and then will install the tubes again and verify the rigging. All that would be left then is to install the servo at a later time.
Eric

I put the servo in before I buttoned it up. I delayed putting the bottom skins on for two years. I wanted to make sure I had everything figured out before installing them. I did take out the control tubes since they are fairly easy to install.

Back