What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I build time on a -12?

Hink

I'm currently a student pilot and have started work on a -10. By the time the -10 is completed (5 or so years) I would like to have 300+/- hours. The school I'm attending has several cirrus available for rent/instruction and I plan on logging time on them in conjunction with transition training for the -10. Given the rental rates on the 172's, 300 hours would be around $40,000. I looked into buying an older 172 but like the -12 and am willing to put the -10 on hold in order to build one. By the time I get the -10 completed I figure I could recoup more than $40,000 worth of the cost of the -12, or maybe keep it if the boss allows. :p

Basically, I was wondering if time logged on an LSA would count toward my total hours?

Be careful!

The only thing you need to be careful of is that all dual time with a sport pilot instructor does not count as dual toward a private pilot certificate.

Last edited:
I'm currently a student pilot and have started work on a -10. By the time the -10 is completed (5 or so years) I would like to have 300+/- hours. The school I'm attending has several cirrus available for rent/instruction and I plan on logging time on them in conjunction with transition training for the -10. Given the rental rates on the 172's, 300 hours would be around $40,000. I looked into buying an older 172 but like the -12 and am willing to put the -10 on hold in order to build one. By the time I get the -10 completed I figure I could recoup more than $40,000 worth of the cost of the -12, or maybe keep it if the boss allows. :p

Basically, I was wondering if time logged on an LSA would count toward my total hours?

The basic answer is yes your LSA time would count toward future ratings and as good experience by insurance companies when you wish to insure your RV-10.

The FAA and EAA are still at odds over one small area and that is if you use a LSA instructor for part of your instruction that time may only count as hours of instruction for the LSA rating, there are not a lot of LSA instructors right now in any case and the simple fix is to be sure to use a full CFI or CFII and then you have no issue all of your time will count.

Building a RV-12 would be a great first step in preparation for a RV-10. You would enjoy cheaper flying than in a rental C-172 and the experience of building the RV-12 may make the building of the RV-10 easier too.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Thanks! I have no plans to switch to an LSA instructor, I intend on continuing through to obtaining my PPL.

Scott

The only thing you need to be careful of is that dual time with a sport pilot instructor does not count as dual toward a private pilot certificate.

Has it always been like this or is this a new ruling? My intension was to use sport pilot as a stepping stone to private and I was told that all time even duel could be used toward a higher cert. I thought all I would need is what the sport pilot does not get with his cert for example the instrument, night, and longer cross countries. The training up to that point is the same. Not sure what the wisdom is in making someone start over.

I am in the process of obtaining my Sport Pilot CFI. After knowing that the time logged will not count towards a private pilot why would anyone take instruction from A sport pilot CFI. Even if at that time they don't want a private, why limit yourself. The sport pilot would have to offer a substantial discount making it not worth it. I can not see continuing, I guess I will stop training for it.

The idea behind that FAA ruling is that an Sport Pilot instructor is not qualified to give instruction toward a Private Pilot license. If you have a CFI (not Sport Pilot Instructor) and are working toward a sport pilot license, all of that time can be applied.

So in short. You can apply dual time only to ratings where that instructor is qualified to instruct for.

Back