What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I bring my Bike?

Chewie65

I am looking at building an RV 9, and wondering if anyone in a 7 or 9 have put their bikes in the back? Can it be done and how much room do you have left? I am talking about regular road/ mountain bikes.

Is there any luggage room left?
OR, can I take out the left seat and have more room?

I have a feeling the answer is an RV-10 but I can't afford that now.

Chewie65 said:
I am looking at building an RV 9, and wondering if anyone in a 7 or 9 have put their bikes in the back? Can it be done and how much room do you have left? I am talking about regular road/ mountain bikes.

Is there any luggage room left?
OR, can I take out the left seat and have more room?

I have a feeling the answer is an RV-10 but I can't afford that now.

Call and talk to Ken Scott at Van's.
He did an article in the Rvator news letter recently about fitting bikes in the different RV models.

Try [size=-1]www.montagueco.com/ They have models that will fit into an RV8.
[/size]

Check this page out about a bike in an RV-8.
http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/MikeRobbins.htm

Three quarter down the page.
Bike_Folded.JPG

Ted
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://tc1234c.googlepages.com/
RV-9A, Lycoming (ECI) O320-D2A, 160 hp, Carb, Dual Mag, Sensenich FP
GRT dual DU H1, TT DigiFlight II VSGV, 144 hr Hobbs

Dann Park in Washington modified his slider canopy so he can tip it up and put his bike in the baggage area. He did a writeup on it for the EAA Ch. 105 newsletter. Google EAA 105 and then search thru their archives to find the article.

He also did a neat mod of his panel to allow it to fold down, so he can easily work on anything behind it. I believe it is described in the same writeup.

Thanks,

As usual, lots of good info and insights!

I am dreaming right now, but nary a night goes by that I am not building in my mind. That small crew that flew to the Carribean is making me envious and I really want to start!

An Rv-9 is "affordable" but with a growing family, and two seats, an Rv-10 would be easier to sell except the price. It is a lot of airplane and the right size for a family, or me and my bikes!

I will have to look in a few at airshows this summer as well!

Thanks again!

The question to ask yourself is, how often will you have four seats full. It may turn out to be cheaper to build a two seater and for the rare occasions rent a four seater.

Norman:
Good point. I flew three different CT210s over the course of about 20 years and utilized all six seats on only one occasion. More than 2 seats were occupied no more than 3-4 times per year in spite of the AC being flown every week. Family of four.
Terry

Seats.....

I have been debating between 7/9 or a 10. I also have only flown with three seats at the most occupied. A friend bought a 6 seat Bonanaza for family traveling and after two trips nobody wanted to go any more.....

I am thinking when I am done with my private/ Instrument get a Tiger or Cardinal, build some time, see what I use it for and go from there. If I am only draging a single soul around then ok, I can maybe stuff my bike or what ever in the back.

Someone suggested a stretched 3 seat RV should be the next direction. Price should be a little more then a 7,8,9. But have the room, that would be perfect for so many I think!

John

RV 9.75

Chewie65 said:
Someone suggested a stretched 3 seat RV should be the next direction. Price should be a little more then a 7,8,9. But have the room, that would be perfect for so many I think!

John

Exellent idea.....I always need 1 extra seat, so a 3 seater RV would be perfect. I saw someone converted the baggage into a rear looking seat. I rather look in the direction of flight.

Pete

Back