What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I blind rivet this mistake?

shiney

Well Known Member
whilst removing a bad rivet from VS704 - VS705 I made a real mess of things and enlarged the hole! can I use a blind rivet here? looks like if I can it'll have to be a BSPQ -4 which is rather long but will fit the enlargement best or do I have to get new ribs?

thanks folks

Shiney

Howdy Shiney,
A picture would help, but from your description it's just an enlarged hole - I'm guessing on the skin that attaches to a rib. If that's the case, why not just use an "oops" rivet, or just go up one size to an AD4? I sure wouldn't buy a new rib & skin if one hole was enlarged.

update: upon re-reading your post, maybe you drilled it out after the skin was closed and you can't get to the backside. In that case, I'd go with a pop-rivet. Make sure you use the appropriate length, though.

Maybe this will help.

I have some cr3214-4-2's

If you have a blind application with a 3/32 head dia countersink, and a 1/8" hole, and they are self plugging, this should do the trick. We sell them by the hundred but them thangs are spensive.

If you PM me I will mail you a couple out of my private reserve.

Tech Page www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/cherry.pdf

Whilst I don't want to hijack this thread I am slowly gathering tools for
RV-7QB project.
I would prefer to use Cherrymax blind rivets in place of the small number of ordinary blind rivets needed.
What sort of rivet puller will I need?

Gun

rjtjrt said:
RV-7QB project.
I would prefer to use Cherrymax blind rivets in place of the small number of ordinary blind rivets needed.

The Marson 39000 will do all the basic Cherry-max that an RV will ever need.

My company stocks them, as do many others.

They make anther one with a swivel head just like it, I need to see about getting some of those too.

I used Cherry-max to close the ailerons and many other spots where I wanted structural and self plugging rivets. Yes it did add too the cost, especially the ones I i\used on the ailerons cr3222-4-? they are aluminum with corrosion resistant stems, but I figured I am only planning on doing this once and actually the structural airframe is the least expensive part of the finished craft. That is with the slow build project.

rjtjrt said:
RV-7QB project.
Your garden variety $3.99 Harbor Freight rivet puller will pull CherryMax rivets just fine.

can I blind rivet this mistak?

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I sent the info to Vans and they have replied giving me some good options, blind rivet is last option but can be done if others don't work.

Many thanks for your input.

Shiney

Not seeing the actual Van's response reminds me of a things-I-
'd-like-to-see-someday.

A whole catalogued page of questons to van's and responses. No commentary around it... just the actual questions and responses. I'm sure we all have availed outselves of Van's support. Would be really cool to have an area where people can just cut and paste them for the benefit of others.

Vans reply

here is what Vans support suggested by email;

Here are a couple of options to try.

1. Depending on how much larger the hole is, you can still get a good rivet
to set in there. To do this, choose the next longer dash # rivet than was
originally spec'd out. Slightly 'Pre Squeeze' the rivet using your hand
squeezer before inserting into the assembly to shorten it and increase its
diameter. Insert the rivet into the assembly. It should now fit snug. Finish
setting the rivet as normal.

2. Substitute a screw, nut, & washer in the assembly. It will be stronger.

3. Increase the rivet size up to a 5/32" rivet (AN470AD5-x). We don't carry
this size.

4. Only use a blind rivet as a last resort.

Hope this helps others

Shiney :)

Sending Rivets.

GAHco said:
I have some cr3214-4-2's

If you have a blind application with a 3/32 head dia countersink, and a 1/8" hole, and they are self plugging, this should do the trick. We sell them by the hundred but them thangs are spensive.

If you PM me I will mail you a couple out of my private reserve.

Tech Page www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/cherry.pdf

They are mailing Tuesday. It is across the Pond so I don't know how long it will take. Hope they help.

Back