What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I add stuff to a S-LSA?

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I'm confused. Can an A&P or AI install non factory avionics in a Van's S-LSA RV12?

I assume any installation would require an STC or a field approval but I am not sure of that.

What is the reg?

Thanks,
EBB

No! Not without written permission from the aircraft manufacturer.

Read paragraph (6) of your operating limitations.

Your only other option would be to re-certificate it as an ELSA.

So lets throw out the scenario-

SL-40 that comes standard dies and needs to be replaced. Can't I just pay an avionics shop to put the 15k garmin 430w in there?

As I said before; NO! Not without written permission of the aircraft manufacturer.

Mel is absolutely correct, you need permission in writing to change anything.

+1 to the others' comments.

Many S-LSA manufacturers have given blanket approvals for avionics other than the factory options; not sure about Vans.

Strangest mod I ever saw was a glider variometer (Cambridge 302) in a CTSW. Owner said it thermaled like a glider at 3500 RPM.

TODR

Who is the manufacturer of the RV-12's coming out of Synergy Air, Van's or Synergy?

Who is the manufacturer of the RV-12's coming out of Synergy Air, Van's or Synergy?

Van's is... In the same way Boeing is the Mfr of the 787, even though it has major components built on just about every major continent of the globe.

SLSA

As Mel says, no.

To some extent, Vans has a history of not approving of changes to their design, although the SLSA market is a new beast for them and we have yet to see where they will fall; either with the experimental spirit or with the "let's lessen our liability and our support issues" spirit.

What you can expect: In some time when Van's upgrades the avionics in their aircraft and begins to deliver the new SLSA's with something new, I would expect them to allow them to be fitted retroactively.

LSA rules, established by the ATSM committee, give a great deal of power to the manufacturer. That gives them the ability to be open, as with some manufacturers, or more conservative.

As mentioned, you could take your SLSA, when you can finally get one, and turn it into an ELSA via a paperwork process, but I believe it can never go back, it's a one-way road. Mel?

As mentioned, you could take your SLSA, when you can finally get one, and turn it into an ELSA via a paperwork process, but I believe it can never go back, it's a one-way road. Mel?

Technically it could go back, but that would have to be done by the original manufacturer, and it would be highly unlikely. They would have to go through the entire aircraft and make sure that everything again meets their original specs, very similar to a type certificate.
For practical purposes, yes it is a one-way road.

I don't find page 6 in operating limitations

No! Not without written permission from the aircraft manufacturer.

Read paragraph (6) of your operating limitations.

Your only other option would be to re-certificate it as an ELSA.

Mel:
Thanks. I'm learning but have a long way to go. The POH for the RV12 on Van's web page is in section 3 and page six of that is "Intentionally Left Blank."

What am I missing?

Thanks,
EBB

SLSA Operating Limitations

Bucko,
The operating limitations are part of the airworthiness certificate and must be carried in the plane but are not in the POH.
From an internet search, here is a copy for the SLSA. Check paragraph 6, per Mel's advice:

126. ISSUANCE OF LIGHT-SPORT CATEGORY AIRCRAFT OPERATING LIMITATIONS.
a. Operating limitations must be designed to fit the specific situation encountered. The FAA may impose any additional limitations deemed necessary in the interest of safety. The FAA must review each imposed operating limitation with the applicant to ensure the applicant understands the operating limitations.
b. The following operating limitations, as applicable, will be issued as shown below; any deviation must be coordinated in accordance with this order:
NOTE: Operating limitations (1) through (8) are general certification provisions.
(1) No person may operate this aircraft for any other purpose than that for which the aircraft was certificated. This aircraft must be operated in accordance with applicable air traffic and general operating rules of part 91 and all additional limitations prescribed herein. These operating limitations are a part of Form 8130-7 and are to be carried in the aircraft at all times and to be available to the pilot in command of the aircraft.
(2) The pilot in command of this aircraft must advise the passenger of the special nature of this aircraft and that the aircraft does not meet the certification requirements of a standard certificated aircraft.
(3) This aircraft must display the word ?light-sport? in accordance with ? 45.23(b).
(4) This aircraft must contain the placards and markings as required by ? 91.9. In addition, the placards and markings must be inspected for legibility and clarity, and the associated systems inspected for easy access and operation, to ensure they function in accordance with the manufacturer?s specifications during each condition inspection.
(5) Unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ? 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.
(6) Noncompliance with these operating limitations will render the airworthiness certificate invalid. Any change, alteration, or repair not in accordance with the manufacturer?s instruction and approval will render the airworthiness certificate invalid, and the owner of the aircraft must apply for a new airworthiness certificate under the provisions of ? 21.191 with appropriate operating limitations before further flight.
(7) Application to amend these operating limitations must be made to the geographically responsible FSDO.
(8) This aircraft does not meet the requirements of the applicable, comprehensive, and detailed airworthiness code as provided by Annex 8 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. The owner/operator of this aircraft must obtain written permission from another CAA before operating this aircraft in or over that country. That written permission must be carried aboard the aircraft together with the U.S. airworthiness certificate and, upon request, be made available to an ASI or the CAA in the country of operation.
NOTE: Operating limitations (9) through (11) are operations provisions.
(9) The pilot in command of this aircraft must hold at least the appropriate category and class privileges, rating, or endorsements required by part 61.
(10) No person may operate this aircraft in the light-sport category for compensation or hire except to tow a light-sport glider or an unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with ? 91.309 or to conduct flight training.
(11) This aircraft may only be operated in accordance with the manufacturer?s aircraft operating instructions, including any provisions for necessary operating equipment specified in the aircraft?s equipment list.
NOTE: Operating limitations (12) through (16) are continued airworthiness provisions.
(12) No person may operate this aircraft in the light-sport category for compensation or hire unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service or 12 calendar months the aircraft has?
(a) Been inspected by a certificated repairman with an LSA maintenance rating, an appropriately rated mechanic, or an appropriately rated repair station in accordance with inspection procedures developed by the aircraft manufacturer or a person acceptable to the FAA, and has been returned to service in accordance with the applicable provisions of part 43; or
(b) Received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21.
(13) Aircraft instruments and equipment installed and used under ? 91.205 must be inspected and maintained in accordance with the requirements of part 91. Any maintenance or inspection of this equipment must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records.
(14) No person will operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection performed in accordance with the manufacturer?s maintenance and inspection procedures, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. As part of the condition inspection, cockpit instruments must be appropriately marked and needed placards installed in accordance with ? 91.9. This inspection will be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records.
(15) Condition inspections must be recorded in the aircraft maintenance records showing the following, or a similarly worded, statement: ?I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the manufacturer?s maintenance and inspection procedures, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation.? The entry will include the aircraft?s total time-in-service, and the name, signature, certificate number, and type of certificate held by the person performing the inspection.
(16) No person may operate this aircraft in the light-sport category unless it is continuously maintained in compliance with ? 91.327(b).

You're also limited to the spec'd battery, tires, lights/lamps, etc. To be honest, if it calls for wheel fairings I don't know if it is strictly speaking legal to fly without them.
Van's is the decision authority on all this.

Back