What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can Empennage Work Be Delayed

macrafic

Well Known Member
Similar to the question about the wing work I posted a few minutes ago.

My empennage is complete and stored off-site. I'm soon getting to the fuselage instructions that call for mounting the empennage. However, my fuselage is still on the rotating stand and I'd like to keep it there for as long as I can. That can't happen with the empennage installed.

Can I delay installing the empennage until much later in the build process? Will this cause me any problems?

Similar to the question about the wing work I posted a few minutes ago.

My empennage is complete and stored off-site. I'm soon getting to the fuselage instructions that call for mounting the empennage. However, my fuselage is still on the rotating stand and I'd like to keep it there for as long as I can. That can't happen with the empennage installed.

Can I delay installing the empennage until much later in the build process? Will this cause me any problems?

Yes you can wait and no there is no risk in doing so.

I don't see a problem at all. You could wait till the very last if you wanted, just before you were ready to rig your elevator controls. The quick build kit comes with the rear skin riveted on and the aft deck ready to install the empennage.

As said in the previous posts, do it any time you want. There's some critical tasks involved in mounting the empennage. After you get all the mounting work done, just take it off and put it back in storage.

You're going to have to remove it when you transport the plane to the hanger anyway. That is unless you are lucky enough to be building in a hanger attached to your house.:)

Last edited:
Alternatively, you could do the empennage install, rig everything, and then :)eek:) remove the empennage for later. It might be more comfortable to do in your garage than waiting until you move to a hangar. On my -6A, I did the landing gear rigging while the canoe was upside down by dragging it out of the garage and working in the driveway for two days. Then I removed the wings and landing gear and reinstalled them after the fuselage had been rolled, the turtledeck and interior done, and everything moved to the hangar. The rigging of the wings and ailerons/flaps was done at the hangar.

I moved my attached.

As said in the previous posts, do it any time you want. There's some critical tasks involved in mounting the empennage. After you get all the mounting work done, just take it off and put it back in storage.

You're going to have to remove it when you transport the plane to the hanger anyway. That is unless you are luck enough to be building in a hanger attached to your house.:)

I did remove the rudder and elevator and towed the plane face forward.

I mounted mine early and then removed it for storage until I had the plane on the gear and engine mounted. Then using a trailer I move the plane to my garage (paint booth) for painting and after back to the hangar for finial assembly.

Kent

Back