What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can Dynon D180 Display Engine % Power?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
Can Dynon D180 display engine % power? It seems trivial to compute % power knowing MAP, RPM, density altitude, and temperature if engine performance curves could be programmed into the EMS.

I know Dynon monitors this forum so I ask the question here for all RV-12 folks benefit.

Thanks in advance...

TX7A - Thanks for info. If I read this correctly it looks like D180 can't display % power for Rotax - only Lyc & Cont...

ENGINE TYPE: ROTAX

Setting ENGINE TYPE: to ROTAX pre-configures some settings for a Rotax 912 engine. Rotax 914 engines must be manually configured using ENGINE TYPE: OTHER. A percent power reading will not be displayed, but the FlightDEK-D180 will automatically configure and dynamically change the oil temperature and tachometer scales and alert thresholds in accordance with Rotax’s recommended ranges, described in detail below.

Maybe latest software rev for D180 now includes % power for Rotax?

Anybody successful in display % power on D180 for Rotax?

Last edited:
We do not show % power for Rotax. Their % power curves are not public. You can find ones around, but they all assume a specific FP prop and airspeed.

Additionally, without a mixture knob and/or a constant speed prop, the in-flight use case isn't that strong.

Im going to go out on a limb here and offer a alternate line of thinking when it comes to the RV12 and the Rotax. Don't think about % of power anymore, think of what speed do I want to fly up to 120 kts or till I reach 5500 RPM using MP for fine adjustments. And you can bump into and out of 5500-5800 RPM so long as you limit it to 5 minutes. The Rotax will run all day long at 5499 RPM and because of the water cooled heads will reach TBO with the original cylinders so long as follow the prescribed Rotax maintenance procedures.;) Option 2 adjust MP to get a prescribe fuel burn you desire.:rolleyes: Your Rotax doesn't care where it operates between 1800RPM and 5500RPM so long as it has fuel, water, and oil. Although it seems like there is more vibration around the 3500RPM setting so maybe not always at the RPM.:p

Back