What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can a Mis-aligned Flap Bearing Block bolt hole be salvaged?

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
I managed to not drill one of the bolt holes in a F-661EF Flap Bearing Block exactly straight and is off by 3/32" center on the exit side. By now I should know how to drill a straight hole by hand :eek:. So before I order another, I wanted to see if the collective forum knowledge could help me salvage the UHMW plastic part using some sort of a fill/redrill technique. Anyone have/had experience doing this or suffered the same and just replaced? The learning never stops.

I would replace it. I cannot drill a straight hole by hand. I have to use a drill press for the UHWW. Did you use a #10 drill bit?

I would replace it. I cannot drill a straight hole by hand. I have to use a drill press for the UHWW. Did you use a #10 drill bit?

Thanks, Alton. I used a #40 to start a pilot hole using the drill press. Then I used a 3/16" drill bit in a cordless drill as I don't have a #10. I have a #12 but it seemed too loose. The 3/16" bit makes a tighter fit. Wonder if the #10 bit call out allows room for expansion/contraction of the UHMW material, minor adjustments in fit of the flap mechanism or is that a non issue?

If you drill a #12 hole for a #12 bolt on the UHMw material, the bolt will be too tight. It is still a little snug for the #10.

Back