What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camlocks or Screws ? I have one specific question.

petersb

Well Known Member
I have already research the advantages of Camlocks, screws and hinge, what I specifically need to know before choosing relates to ease of installing.

I have already clecoed on the hinge and have trial fitted many times , the problem is the rear corner where you have to line up the two (one vertical and one horizontal ) rear corner hinge eyes when installing.

You have to pull slightly outwards the rear corner to fit the last vertical hinge eye, however, this then places the last horizontal hinge eye outside the lower cowl horizontal hinge and thus cannot push it in, well not without some effort and possible paint scratching.

Now if screws are used this is no problem as the top cowl can be dropped straight down and the horizontal hinges will engage properly. Problem is I used screws in my last RV, with large recessed washers, and over time the paint chipped around the washer.

So I would like to use Camlocks............. Question, how much do the Camlock, attached to the cowl, protrude, ie, will I still have the problem described in the third paragraph where I have to pull the corner out so the corner Camlock can go into place and thus the horizontal hinge eye on the top cowl will be outside the horizontal hinge on the lower cowl. If this is the case then I am no better off using Camlocks over the hinge method.

I am specifically interested on the difficulty of installing the top cowl , especially the corner in question, when using Camlocks.

Regards Peter

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am not fully understanding the question or problem area. There should be no "pushing or pulling" to get things in line. You typically need to shim certain areas of the hinge to get proper alignment so perhaps that has been overlooked?

Back