What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camlocks on RV-7 top cowl - does it help ?

petersb

Well Known Member
Looking to use Milspec (camlocks) on top cowl firewall edge only. I currently have all hinges and find to install the top cowl you must interlock both the horizontal and the vertical (firewall) hinges simultanously which requires all sorts of contorsions to achieve.

So the thought was camlocks on the vertical (firewall) edge, now, do the camlocks protrude too far below the fibreglass and thus I would have the same problem interlocking the horizontal hinge while trying to lower the cowl as the camlocks would stop the cowl at the curved section.

Hope I explained this clearly

Peter

Peter,
I agree that the hinge system is a pain at the aft edge of the cowl. Instead of camlocks, I just used a piece of aluminum (you could use a piano hinge assembled) drilled holes and put in nutplates. Using #8 screws along the edge works well and I like them because they are easily replaced when worn and not as noticeable. Be sure which ever you do that the spacing is rather close so you don't get a wave between fasteners from the heat as the plane ages.

camlocs

Like others, I used camlocs only on the upper cowl firewall interface. Best thing I did. There are many pictures on the forum is you do a search

do the camlocks protrude too far below the fibreglass and thus I would have the same problem interlocking the horizontal hinge while trying to lower the cowl as the camlocks would stop the cowl at the curved section.
The Milspec fasteners are adjustable for depth, and consequently "tightness" in how much they pull the cowl surface down. They would not be a problem, though you must fabricate aluminum strips that are riveted to the fuse front edge; they carry the receptacle of the fasteners.

Until you make the change ...

Do you have a hinge pin puller tool? I made one out of hinge pin material. Mine has a finger loop of about 1.25" diameter then a straight length of about 4 or 5 inches the a hook bent over about 100 to 120 degrees. Installing and removing hinge pins with it is no problem and the alignment of the cowl is perfect every time, over time and under pressure. I did make an access port and cover plate at the rear of the cowl where the two curved hinge pins are inserted and removed instead of going in through the oil door. The only place I had to make a change was where the lower cowl interfaces with the bottom of the fuselage there I went with the metal plate and #8 hardware (flathead screws, dimple washers and platenuts.

Bob Axsom

Back