What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

camlocks in cowl

bsacks05

Well Known Member
Anyone have some good pictures of camlocks installed in the side of a cowling? I want to replace the hinge holding the upper and lower halves together. My plane is at the painter and I want to do this before the cowl is painted. I have the hardware and a good idea what I plan to do but would like to see some other installations. Would like some pictures from the inside of the cowl.
Thanks,

Heres my install.
http://www.jeffsrv-7a.com/COWLING/06-08-06.htm
another pic here.
http://jeffsrv-7a.com/COWLING/COWLING 162.jpg

-Jeff

COWLING%20129.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff,
I searched the threads and came up with your site. Very nice. My hinge pins at the firewall are easy to insert. The problem was with the side hinges and that is where I am going to install the camlocks. I may have used the wrong size hinge. Too small.

Well, I used the larger hinge material my accident. Only penalty I can think of is weight. I've heard from others that the small hinge cracks over time on some planes. So maybe mine wont. I will say one thing due to the larger pin, its easier to push into the hinge material without bending.

-Jeff

RV_7A said:
Well, I used the larger hinge material my accident. Only penalty I can think of is weight. I've heard from others that the small hinge cracks over time on some planes. So maybe mine wont. I will say one thing due to the larger pin, its easier to push into the hinge material without bending.

-Jeff
Jeff-

Are you saying here that you took the larger piano hinge that Van's provides in the kit for the cowl to firewall seam and used it instead on the seam between the top half and bottom half of the cowl? Sounds like a good idea.

I have purchased camlocs for around the firewall and was wondering if I should have those firewall-cowl hinges deleted from my finish kit. It sounds though that you found a good use for them.

Yeah and ya know I like the symmetry of my setup. Just has one row of camlocks all the way around.

-Jeff

Back