What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camloc Install sequence

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I'm using the Skybolt camlocs on my top and bottom firewall. The instructions aren't great, and I have a question about the sequence. It looks like I can install the mounting strip, scalloped as they describe, before engine and cowling installation. However, it looks like I must wait to drill the holes for the camloc receptacles and install the receptacles until the cowling is fitted, which will be after the engine is hung.

Is there any reason I can't install and rivet the aluminum mounting strips now, before hanging engine and fitting cowling?

Camlocks

You should install the strips around the cowling. If you drill a 1/8" center hole at the recommended spacing (typically 3.5") you can use that hole later with a light inside the cowling to drill matching holes in the cowling after it is trimmed. Then you can use clecos to fit the cowl.Those can be enlarged to hold the camlocks.

Recommend nutplates on the bottom of the firewall. My camlocks down there did not hold up.

camlocks

It's a good idea to install the strips before the engine mount is on, because otherwise around the 4 bolts you won't be able to squeeze any rivets.

Before you do anything though, test fit your cowling and mark the cowling split line on the fuselage side, to make sure the camlocks are evenly spaced from the edge of the cowling halfs.

Also measure the thickness of your cowling around the firewall edge in a few different points. I've had to use slightly thicker spacers around the bottom corners. I used the James cowl though so this may not apply to you.

Lenny

My advice

is to not do any scalloping of the doublers until you know where the split in the cowling will be. You will want fasteners near the split (both above AND below), and this will determine where the scalloping needs to be. My recommendation is to at least mount the motor mount first. At this point, you should be able to determine where the scalloping will need to be.

Good luck!

Complicated

I found that you don't need to scallop the flange if you get the shape right with a cardboard template and some trial fitting with the cowl. That way, you can install the flange before the engine mount for easy riveting. Later, you can choose the camlock locations based on even spacing along the flange and clearance between the flange and engine mount. Then, lay out the mounting points and drill small holes for clecos. If you want to at that point, you can scallop the flange, but the weight savings may not be worth the trouble.

To add to the confusion, it's definitely easier to finish sand the cowl surface before drilling the camlock holes to the final size. In fact, drilling out the holes is probably the last thing you should do before priming and painting.

M

Back