What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

camloc fastners

kboyd59

I am going to use camlock fastners on my cowling instead of piano hinges, does anyone know which camlock fastners I need and how many I will need. I have read where other builders have used 040 thick alum on the inside of the cowling where the hinges would go to mount there fastners to. Thanks for any help.

Camlocks

Hi Kboyd59
Do a search on the forum and you should get all the info you'll need. There was a group buy last winter and many of the members posted pictures and descriptions on how they installed theirs and the problem some had. Too bad you didn't get in on the deal. A lot of us saved a bunch of cash on the kits.
NYTOM

I'd recommend using the "plus flush" grommet in the 4002 series. Trivial installation vs. an odd-angle countersink of a big hole through way too thin fiberglass for flush grommets.

I just ordered a batch for a second RV-7. The stud length depends on the total grip required. I'm using .04 metal, the cowl's nominally .06, adding up to a -3 stud. Stainless all the way with no plans to paint; phillips recess studs. Spruce catalog has all the data you need to noodle out your part numbers. I ordered: 214-16N receptacle, 4002-NS grommet, 40G26-1 retaining ring, 40S5-3S stud. Thirteen do for the upper cowl-firewall. Skybolts are more expensive same functionality as Camloc.

Hinges work great along the cowl seam and the lower cowl-firewall side joint. Bottom cowl-firewall has a history of breaking hinges. There I used five #8's each side into 1/16 aluminum brackets riveted to the firewall. 200 hours and nary a crack/wear.

John Siebold

Camlocs - reinforce the cowl????

I have searched all over the place, but your posting (John) is the really helpful one. It gets into the nitty grity details. Thanks!

I understand you to say you will make the scalloped cowl boot out of .04 (which seems thinner than most) and the nominal thickness of the glass cowl is .06. My question is this. Do most people reinforce the cowl with extra layers of glass/carbon/ally? Is it necessary? I saw mention of this (I think) on the Skybolt site.

I only plan to do the top cowl /firewall interface on an RV4. The rest I will do with hinge & pins. Thanks!

I have used Skybolt fasteners on the two aircraft I have built and think it is definitely the best system going. I use hinge on the horizontal cowl seam then the Skybolts around the entire firewall perimeter. Use .063" for the mounting plates, .040 is a bit light. Details on my most recent installation, complete with part numbers can be found here.

I agree

Install easy, look very sexy and cost a fortune!...Nothing new there then!

Frank
7A painting FINISHED!!!!! wings on tonight fingers crossed.

Back