What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camloc centre line question?

shiney

Well Known Member
There are pictures with Camlocs above the cowl centre line and there are pictures with them below the cowl centre line. Which is correct or which is best or are both correct depending on personal choice?

:)

PREFERENCE

1/4 turn fasteners below the cowl centerline indicate that the builder chose not to use hinges there... along the cowl split fore-aft line-- same deal.

It would seem that most common if 1/4 turn fasteners are used is 1/4 turn along the top cowling, hinges lower vertical, hinges on the cowl split and nut plates on the bottom.

I'm working them now.

If you're asking about along the split between the top and bottom cowl, I'd say it's personal preference. I fitted up my bottom cowl and installed strips to hold the camlocks. Those strips served to help locate the top cowl while I trimmed it to fit. But I could have just as easily done it the other way.

just interested...

I've set up the camlocs but I haven't yet made the final drill, I've set them up on the bottom cowl but was just interested in weather there was a reason why some are on the top cowl and some on the bottom, guess it's just down to preference.

If you're referring to the attachment along the split line between the top and bottom cowling, then putting the camlocs above the split line is more common than below, and there is a good reason for it. With the camlocs above the split and the flange being part of the lower cowling, the assembled cowling will shed water (think roof shingles). If it's the other way around, then water will seep down through the split and into the cowling. Not necessarily disastrous, but undesirable.

Back