What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cam-locks install on cowl

aussieflyer1

Well Known Member
Installing Cam- locks on my cowl of a RV6A. Would I install a strip of Aluminum along the bottom 1/2" strip to attach the cam too, or would it be fine just riveting them onto the cowl fiberglass with no strip of aluminum.
Thanks

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but I think you may not be picturing how the camlocks function correctly. On most installations I've seen, including mine, the receptacles get riveted to the airframe at the firewall and the parts (the studs that you screw 1/4 turn) that are installed on the cowling itself are simply held with clips. I didn't even install the clips until after paint, the screw/studs simply drop in to a properly sized hole through the cowl into the receptacle. The collar around the stud is bigger than the hole in the cowl and the pressure on collar is what holds the cowl. There's no riveting needed on the cowl itself.

If you hunt around you'll find pictures of the installations that will help it make sense. I installed a strip of aluminum that was cut in scallop shapes to make a "shelf" to rivet the receptacles to the top of the firewall. The back of the cowl rests on this "shelf" and the studs go through the back of the cowl into the receptacles.

Jeremy Constant

RE: Camloc Install

The Skybolt website has a tutorial on installing cowling camlocs. The link below is a RV example/tutorial which I think will answer your install question.

http://www.skybolt.com/Vans RV Cowling Installation 2011 Rev 8x.pdf

You could either use the Skybolt flanges or make your own from .050 or 0.625 aluminum strips. If I was doing it again, I would use the Skybolt flanges as they sure look like they would make it a lot easier.

Cowl RV6A

Thanks for that link Isaac, I will do it the way Skybolt has it on there site as I was looking at the two cowl pieces and the idea of joining them.
Thanks

cowl

Even with the two cowl pieces, the camloc receptacle needs to be on an overlap with the portion of side of the cowl with pins. This is done by riveting the aluminum holders for the receptacle to the fiberglass cowl. After riveting, you could overlay a layer of fiberglass to distribute loads so the rivets don't carry the full connection.
Much easier than you think once your start. Make sure all the holes are aligned.

Back