What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Calling part time Metallurgist

bugsy63

G'day
I've just unwrapped the counterweight for my rudder and note that the weight is covered by a white powder. This is typical of the elevator counterweights too.

The history is that the kit had been in storage, unopened, for about 6 years in the wettest part of Australia prior to it coming into my possession. It has of course also crossed the pacific. During this time it has been wrapped in plain "news print paper"

My assumption is that it is an oxide due to the environment but is it appropriate to clean it up and if so, what product or process would you suggest? Oh... and am I going to survive to read replies by messing with it?

Furthermore, is this likely to be vulnerable to further issues and if so would priming it be the answer?

I've got photo's of this powder and if I could work out how to attach it, I would, but would be happy to forward via pm if needed.

Thanks in anticipation

I'm not a metallurgist, but a geochemist with some relevant background. I am 99% certain that you have lead oxide or oxy-hydroxide or some mixture of these. I would just wire brush it off and prime away. I would avoid breathing or ingesting the stuff, but IMO you don't need a hazmat suit to clean it up. And I wouldn't clean it up over my garden either.

cheers,
greg

Prime counterweights?

Did others prime the lead counterweights? My elevator weights are still easy enough to get to, but my rudder weight would require some de-construction. Any thoughts?

Back