What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CAD file for panel RV-6 tip-up

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
I tried searching, but all I could find is a lot of people discussing how they layed out their panels in AutoCAD or other similar programs... No links to .DXF files with the panel outline itself.

Anyone have an outline for the -6 panel on a tip-up?

Send me your e-mail...

I tried searching, but all I could find is a lot of people discussing how they layed out their panels in AutoCAD or other similar programs... No links to .DXF files with the panel outline itself.

Anyone have an outline for the -6 panel on a tip-up?

...I have one.

Can you take a TurboCAD file?

If not, I'll write out a DXF and/or a DWG file.

gilalex ---- at ---- q --- dot --- com

They are quite different...

I think they are the same.

...in the lower corners. The design around this area changed quite a bit.

The horizontal mounting area at the sides is angled on the -6, but appears to be straight on the -7.
The mounting hole dimensions appear to be different.

I do have a DXF output that one VAF member said he could read, as well as a TurboCAD version.

IIRC mine was made from the dimensions that are given in the -6 plans.

...in the lower corners. The design around this area changed quite a bit.

The horizontal mounting area at the sides is angled on the -6, but appears to be straight on the -7.
The mounting hole dimensions appear to be different.

I do have a DXF output that one VAF member said he could read, as well as a TurboCAD version.

IIRC mine was made from the dimensions that are given in the -6 plans.

I should have clarified my statement.

I think the overall dimensions are the same (numerous RV-6 builders have used the prepunched RV-7/9 panels sold by Van's. You can then just use the 7/9 mounting configuration for the fresh air vents...it was never documented for the RV-6 anyway).

Last edited:
Maybe...

I should have clarified my statement.

I think the overall dimensions are the same (numerous RV-6 builders have used the prepunched RV-7/9 panels sold by Van's. You can then just use the 7/9 mounting configuration for the fresh air vents...it was never documented for the RV-6 anyway).

...but caution is needed with the RV-7 DXF file - it is almost an inch taller. The dimensions are not the same....:(

I presume this is for the 1 inch bend away from the pilot on the bottom edge, but this is not mentioned on the DXF file.

If you use the -7 drawing as downloaded for panel planning, you would be implementing the "extended panel" option without knowing it...:)

I also have a CAD version that shows the restrictions behind the panel for the tip frame and the hinge block locations....

Last edited:
...but caution is needed with the RV-7 DXF file - it is almost an inch taller. The dimensions are not the same....:(

I presume this is for the 1 inch bend away from the pilot on the bottom edge, but this is not mentioned on the DXF file.

If you use the -7 drawing as downloaded for panel planning, you would be implementing the "extended panel" option without knowing it...:)

I also have a CAD version that shows the restrictions behind the panel for the tip frame and the hinge block locations....

You are correct. It is the actual .DXF for producing the blank panel supplied in the kit which does get a flange bent on the bottom edge.

CAD drawing

You are correct. It is the actual .DXF for producing the blank panel supplied in the kit which does get a flange bent on the bottom edge.

I had a friend work with me to create a CAD lay out of my RV6 panel with a tip-up so I could build a new panel and have it cut on a water jet machine. I made it 1 inch deeper then the original and the lay out will be for the instruments I installed. It took some fiddling around to get the right dimensions, but it came out nice when it was done.
Email me at [email protected] and I will reply with the CAD drawing attached.

Pat

Is the Tip-Up panel the same as the Slider panel on the RV-6/6A? If so, could you please email me the Turbocad or DXF file?

Thanks.

Back