What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cables rattling

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
When flying, I hear what seems to be control cables rattling against the fuselage in the rear. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

Don't think so

I have never heard them. It could only be the rudder cables or possible oil canning of the fuselage side skins.

One other thing to check would be the intercom squelch. I have noticed that if it is not turned up enough it creates a crackling sound that sounds like pinging while flying. The next time it happens try turning up the squelch.

I sure wish they installed a nice PS Engineering intercom with the auto-squelch. They are so nice even thought they are more expensive and have more functions than needed.

I sometimes hear what sounds like a seatbelt hanging out the door of a car. Sorry, not a technical description.

I've heard what is described. Appears to be thru the headset/intercom. I tought it could be "wire noise" from a mix of wire/cable routing in the avionics bay but everything appears secure and tied off. Just occurs at random
, sounds like a popping or rattling noise.

She is a thin skinned bird and very noisy. Do you hear a grumbling noise at altitude when you cut power to descend?

Thanks, I'll investigate.

I thought I was loosing it because I heard the noise with the headset on, not realizing it could be coming through the headset itself. I thought the mike might be picking it up, but it may well be generated by the electronics.

I'll go to the airport today and check the headset and intercom wiring. The weather here in SC may not allow me to test fly it today, though.

After I catch that gremlin, and I will, I'll post my findings.

Thanks again,

Rafael

Squelch

The more this is discussed the more I am convinced it is just your squelch. If you set the squelch on the ground it will generate the sound everyone is describing while your flying.
Next time your up flying turn the squelch down to the point where you hear all the noise coming through the mike then slowing turn it up. Right before you eliminate all the noise you will hear the crackling/pinging noise. The first few flights I could not figure it out and thought something was loose.

Air blowing on a microphone can make strange noises. Try setting the intercom to "isolate" to eliminate the passenger headset as the problem.
Joe Gores

Isolate switch

When I am flying by myself I always have the switch set to "isolate" because it gives much cleaner sound when the passenger headset mic is plugged in. This is especially true if the air vents are open. But you can squelch out the passenger mic also or unplug it.
The only issue using isolate is that you will not then hear the GPS altitude call outs or terrain and obstacle alerts.

I have the D180 and Garmin 486 and don't know if Skyview GPS gives these callouts independent of the intercom.

Tony

Last edited:
Has anybody with the D180 and Garmin 496 had a problem with the Garmin voice call outs and XM audio being very weak and scratchy? It started out fine, problem developed after 5 hours, corrected by resetting the audio plug on the 496 and then developed again. I think it may be a bad connection somewhere, but just thought I'd check with other guys before I jump in.

Back