What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable Ties with attach loop

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
Lowes has these cable ties that have a loop in them for attaching the tie to a surface. I was thinking of using these behind the panel instead of the sticky back attachments that someone said come off in the heat. Any thoughts?

cabletie.jpg

Be sure that you can get to the screw to replace it when you inevitably want to cut the tie and add a wire or two.

greg

I don't want to sound elitist (since I use some of those sticky-back anchors like Gil shows in places as well, but if I'm going to use a screw to mount something (as opposed to just sticking it on), I figure I might as well use an Adel clamp. They do look nice....:)

I don't want to sound elitist (since I use some of those sticky-back anchors like Gil shows in places as well, but if I'm going to use a screw to mount something (as opposed to just sticking it on), I figure I might as well use an Adel clamp. They do look nice....:)

Paul... I'm against "stick-back" anchors.... AZ heat does them in...:) The link above was not to sticky-back ones.

My suggestion was for anchors with a pop rivet securing it and a ty-rap for the cable - the pop rivet is much easier than a screw/bolt/nut or nutplate...

Adel clamps are definitely good, but need to be sized properly and do take up more room. If you want more support at a closer pitch then the ty-raps might be easier and better.

My comment on the picture in post #1 is that the bundle could not be changed/altered without removing the screw or other support.
This makes the pop rivet support a better alternative....:)

Last edited:
RTV

When on of those sticky things works better for me, I peel the foam sticky off, scuff it up and use blue RTV to attach it in place, it may come loose but I bet not. if you want extra security put a few small hole for the RTV to ooze though then it will have more holding power.

I am not flying so I may find my idea does not work heck the DAR may shoot me down but I hope not. I don't use this as a primary means of anchoring wires but in between other anchors like clamps or bushings.

Like this

2hwee6e.jpg

Good advice guys! Just what I was looking for. I think I'm going to do a combination of Mike's and Steve's ideas:

This application for the back of the fuselage (where I get to the wire if need be).
When on of those sticky things works better for me, I peel the foam sticky off, scuff it up and use blue RTV to attach it in place

This part for behind the panel (where a guy like me over fifty doesn't want to venture):
I think the cradle cable tie mounts that Gil posted about a month back.. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/cabletiemounts1.php

Then I'll use the fire resistant ties in front of the firewall.

Back