What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable lengths

Vans Aircraft store

One of the ways is to go to the Vans Aircraft store. Once you create your account you can access all the plans and drawings for your aircraft as well as optional drawings. When you say page 21, there are multiple page 21's in different sections. OP-26 lists the different cable lengths for different aircraft and engine combinations. Just be aware that your cable lengths may vary depending on routing and accessory locations for your specific aircraft.

Attachments

• 6F4FD95E-3A58-4539-9CC3-7219A0D4418D.jpeg
    6F4FD95E-3A58-4539-9CC3-7219A0D4418D.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Thanks. I was trying to find them in vans but was struggling. Will look again. The firewall fwd kit reference rv8 DWG 21

Vans Aircraft Store

Sign in and on the right side next to the checkout basket you should see your name with a down arrow selector. Click on that, then "My Aircraft". Right in the middle there's a link "Download Kit Plans". Click on that and all the plans for your aircraft are available plus the OP drawings.

The alternative is to buy a set of plans on a USB stick for $10.

Straight from drawing 21, regarding cables, it only shows the suggested pass through locations.

Attachments

• Drawing 21 Control Passthrough.jpg
    Drawing 21 Control Passthrough.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
If you go to the Vans Aircraft website>store>then type in throttle cable, you’ll get to the location that lists the different throttle (and other) control cables for the various airplanes. I think the one you are looking for is the CT Q-60 (Control/Throttle/Quadrant - 60 inches). You can type that number in the search bar on the store page, and this is what you’ll get:

https://store.vansaircraft.com/60-push-pull-quadrant-cable-ct-q-60.html

Type in CT Q-55 (Control/Throttle/Quadrant - 55 inches), and you’ll get the cable that is used for the propeller/mixture control for the RV8.

CT BLK (and then some number of inches) is a push pull cable used in the side by side airplanes and the color (BLK) indicates it is for the throttle. Red=mixture, etc.

If you built you airplane standard according to plans, I think you are looking for a 60” cable used on a quadrant, so no black knob on the end.

I just had a garage sale in my hangar this last weekend (cleaning out my hangar), and sold a new/unused CT Q-55 for 10 bucks.

I have the IO-360 with the vans cables (60"). For some reason the throttle cable on the quadrant is not able to travel the full throw from idle to wide open. I've had to choose to set idle speed and not reach 100% WOT on the top side or I'd idle too quickly (over 1000 rpm's). The A&P says the sleeve is too long and stopping the travel, another A&P said the fulcrum in the throttle bracket kit is not right. Has anyone seen this before as part of the adjustment needed with the cable lengths?

I have the IO-360 with the vans cables (60"). For some reason the throttle cable on the quadrant is not able to travel the full throw from idle to wide open. I've had to choose to set idle speed and not reach 100% WOT on the top side or I'd idle too quickly (over 1000 rpm's). The A&P says the sleeve is too long and stopping the travel, another A&P said the fulcrum in the throttle bracket kit is not right. Has anyone seen this before as part of the adjustment needed with the cable lengths?

I found that the cable travel was very marginal for me. I have a "delux" quadrant, and it was definitely the cable itself that was limiting the travel. I had to get everything just right to get the travel I needed.
The other variable is the length of the control arm on the carburetor or fuel servo. Don Rivera at Air Flow Performance may be able to supply you with a shorter arm so that less cable travel is required to move from idle to WOT. (or from ICO to full rich in the case of a mixture cable)

The other solution, of course, and the one I really recommend, is to order a custom McFarlane cable. These are much higher quality and you won't be doing the frustrating job of replacing it in 500 hrs. You can specify the cable travel to be a a bit longer than the Vans std.

Last edited:
McFarlane cables

I really recommend buying McFarlane cables rather than the green-sheathed cables that Vans sells. Vans cables seem to last around 500 hrs if near any heat source, even with heat shielding, firesleeve, foil wrapping, etc. They get sticky inside when subjected to moderate heat.

The McFarlane cables are about 3x the cost, but worth every penny when you think about how difficult and frustrating it is to change out one of those cables on the RV-8. The access and install on an RV-7 or RV-9 may be enough easier that the economics would suggest just replacing the green cable every 500 hrs, but on the -8, you really would rather not ever do it, and the silky-smooth, last-forever McFarlane cable is the way to go.

Of course, since they are custom-ordered, you should be darn sure of the length first before ordering one. And you can specify the cable travel to be a little longer than the std Vans cable too, so you don't have to fine-tune the quadrant adjustments so much to get full travel on throttle or mixture.

I adjusted the attachment point on my throttle and mixture levers of my deluxe throttle quadrant to get full travel with the Vans supplied Cablecraft cables. Not a big deal drilling a new hole in the levers about 1/2" higher and slightly forward of the original. If you need additional travel, you might try an extension adapter. The hardest part is taking the throttle quadrant apart with all the spacers.

Just like Steve, I had to change my mixture cable at about the 500 hour mark and went with the McFarlane custom cable. Standby for sticker shock, one cable $500 but it does move like a hot knife through butter.

Back