What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Top - Gaps

Phil

Well Known Member
I was handing out candy to kids and finishing up the cabin top in the garage tonight when I noticed something that caught my eye.

As I begin to clamp the cabin top to the fuselage structure, I noticed that I've got a gap that ranges from 1/8" -> 5/32" between the fiberglass cabin top and the forward vertical bulkheads.

Before I go back and build this area up with epoxy and flox, I'm curious to know if this is something I should put off until the cabin top is fitted for the final time and flox is applied to fill any gaps.

The real crux of my question is that the cabin-top posts are so thin that I'm not sure it would be deep enough to allow for a full #10 countersink without going all the way through.

Part of me says to fill it now and then countersink, but the other part says to put the screws in position and then fill behind the screws when the top is placed on the fuse for the final time.

Van's plans say to not worry about gaps until the filler is applied during the final installation, but I'm not sure if this is what they're talking about.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Phil,

You may want to add some fiberglass strips to make the cover a little thicker and to add strength. I also did this to the door when I removed the rain gutter for the McMaster Carr door seals.

Mine were thick enough that I was able to over countersink the holes to allow filling in over the screw heads with epoxy and balloons. I prefer the smooth look as oppose to all those screw heads exposed. I'm sure there are plenty of photos on mykitlog.

bob

Back