What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin heat in the hangar

Hello to the Vans pilots,
I have just recently completed the build of my RV14A and have about 20hrs on it. Great airplane, got a grin going just pulling the fun machine out to the ramp. It’s Jan now and Wx is keeping it the hangar. Last week temps were 11 to -6. My hangar is not heated or insulated. I was thinking of a small thermostat controlled heater for the cabin, placed in the baggage area. Is this a good idea or a possible fire issue? Will a bit of heat prevent avionics issues in the future? Your thoughts..
Tim

I use a Hornet 45 cockpit heater. It's reputedly very safe. They're thermostatically set keep the cockpit between 55° F and 65° F . They draw 700 watts and are extremely well-made. I don't know if letting vehicle electronics get cold is a big deal, but 45 years living in Minnesota makes me doubt it. OTOH, it's nice to get into a warm cockpit with seats that aren't stiff as a board. I leave it plugged into my Switcheon so that it turns on as the same time my engine pre-heater turns on.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 9.18.36 PM.png

I purchased one of these via Amazon. It keeps the cockpit at about 65 degrees if I toss a very lightweight puffy blanket over my canopy. It barely gets warm to the touch so I just leave it sitting directly on my leather seat cushion. I feel like I’m being kind to all my old instruments and avionics by keeping them at room temperature. I have a heated hangar that pretty much never goes below 50 degrees, but that feels a little chilly without supplementation.

Low Power Heater

I just use a 100W incandescent light bulb. With hangar temps in the 30s it keeps the inside of my RV at about 50. Cheap, simple, reliable and 20 degrees of startup warmth is enough for me.
I think it is the moisture and not cold that may effect your avionics and electrical system Life. Therefore keeping a constant temp probably best.

Last edited:
A similar option just appeared on my Amazon feed. This one is a fair bit less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instru...a5-8e8a-79f2cfc8929b&pd_rd_i=B0014TMXVA&psc=1
I've been using that exact device for winter storage of my boat for over a decade, the sole purpose being to keep the boat cockpit temps above the dew point and prevent mold formation while in storage. It does that job well, but it doesn't come close to actual warming for human (or avionics) comfort, which is what you'd expect from a heater that draws only about 100 watts. The Hornet heater uses high volume air flow from it fan in addition to the heating element in maximizing efficiency, whereas that Amazon device is barely a whisper. Both devices do their jobs well, but they're completely different jobs. If you buy into the "cold (or moisture) damages avionics" proposal and that's your goal rather than thermal comfort, then that cheaper boat cockpit device would be a great choice.

I just use a 100W incandescent light bulb. With hangar temps in the 30s it keeps the inside of my RV at about 50. Cheap, simple, reliable and 20 degrees of startup warmth is enough for me.
I think it is the moisture and not cold that may effect your avionics and electrical system Life. Therefore keeping a constant temp probably best.
Yes moisture is the issue and all that’s needed to encourage moisture to seek other places to live is a bit of heat. It doesn’t need to be a lot as long as it’s maybe 1 or 2 degrees warmer inside the plane than outside there will never be any moisture collected inside.

plehrke: now that their production has been outlawed, where are you finding 100w incandescent bulbs these days?

Doug
Seattle area

plehrke: now that their production has been outlawed, where are you finding 100w incandescent bulbs these days?

Doug
Seattle area
I currently have a few i bought before they stopped selling them. I also replaced all the incandescent bulbs around the house with LED and saved those bulbs that still have a little life left in them just to have them for this type of application. A good place to Harvest them is from your basement, garage, and closet light fixtures. I handle them very carefully now that I am down to just a few.
100w incandescent bulbs seem to be perfect amount of heat to keep my airplane warm here in STL inside a hangar. I also use one stuck up inside the cowl between the exhaust pipes. With a heavy blanket over the top of cowl and cowl plugs in, the engine compartment never gets below 55 degrees even after a week long cold spell in the teens. YMMV depending on where you live.

Last edited:
automobiles by the millions sit in the cold all winter. is electronics damage a real thing?
i do know friends that last week at their farm lost a machine shed full of tractors to a fire.

Here at Petaluma (O69) several years ago a gentlemen burnt up his beautifully restored Twin Barron with a heating source in the cockpit. Seems the extension cord shorted out and started the fire. Nothing left except the tail and a couple of propellers. Would have taken the whole hangar row out if a local mechanic hadn't been working late and saw the flames and called the fire department. Be careful with hooking up these "solutions"....

Back