What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Heat control & routing

MS19087

Well Known Member
Where are most builders mounting the cabin heat control knob? Somewhere on panel (right side?) or on a bracket on the side wall either left or right side below panel? Any pictures?

All the way on the right.

Two reason for this. First, that is how the flapper valve is set to operate. Second, you can still reach it from the left side and since it is not fight critical, it doesn't clutter up the left side.

Bill -
Nice post! Simple & to the point!
I'll certainly consider your points when I lay out my panel.
Lorin D.
9A Wings (SB)

Thanks Bill . . .

Thanks Bill . . . I'm thinking about putting it on a bracket that I have fabricated for my headset plugs on the right . . . thanks!

No problem, I'm happy to help.

When working on your panel layout, give a lot of consideration to switch placement. My panel is laid out by what I like to call "Phase of Flight" rather than switch function. Thus not all the light switches are together.

For instance, the taxi & landing lights and fuel pump are just the left of the carb heat, which is to the left of the throttle quadrant. The flap switch is on the right of the throttle quadrant. When approaching an airport, up go the lights and fuel pump switches and out comes the carb heat. Once that is done, my hand goes back to the throttle, never to be moved again. Notice the positioning of the flap switch on the right side of the throttle quadrant. You can toggle the flaps up and down w/o moving your hand.

This is especially important on a go around. You can push the carb heat in, push the throttle full forward, while toggling the flaps up, all w/o moving your hand off the throttle quadrant.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

To the right of mixture

If you are using the Van's standard issue controls, you may put the cabin heat control to the right of the mixture control. The cable routing is simple.
IMG_0083-full.jpg

Mine looks exactly like Ted's.
I seldom use the cabin heat flying in Georgia but there are times, like yesterday, when a little is necessary. I just crack it open to take the edge off the chill.

I have electric trim, so I installed the cabin heat control in the place where the manual trim cable would mount. It makes for a nice short cable and i can be reached by both occupants

Back