What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Blower

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Looking at some of the builder's sites I have noticed that some of the overhead consoles have scat hoses coming out of the back. Is this for air conditioning or just cabin air blowers? If it is for air blowers, is there a good source somewhere, or do you roll your own?

Those without air conditioning (like me) still get huge benefit from having fresh air vents in the overhead console. There are a couple ways of getting the air in - the original console from Accuracy Avionics came with a "727 style" 2 inch air inlet on the tail fairing. Many people have chosen to instead install NACA vents in the tailcone. The airconditioning systems all come with a blower.

A person could install a blower to recirculate cabin air but they're pretty heavy. I did away with the "barn door" vents for the rear seats based on the effectiveness of the OH vents. In fact, I have my overhead console fed by a pair of NACA vents just aft of the baggage bulkhead and it's actually too much air! I'm going to reduce the airflow next time I have need to remove the baggage bulkhead.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

Bob,
How are you going to reduce the airflow? I'm light years away from this but I have the overhead console and will be going the NACA scoop route so just want as much info on the install as I can get.

Thanks!

An RV-10 builder in Colorado Springs suggested using multiple layers of screen material at the connection to the OH console to reduce the flow.

I've acquired a couple of 2" butterfly valves (Wicks has them) and am going to install them at the aft part of the baggage bulkhead where the SCAT connects to the console. There are a couple of things that caused me to do this 1) I don't know if the 2 NACA ducts are feeding evenly, and 2) I don't know how much to cut down the airflow. The valves will let me determine both and then I'll just leave them in. It is very possible that you could get away with just a single NACA duct.

Bob

Back